Syncope/falls

Heiferly

I went over a bunch of test results with my doctor today. It turns out that I may have had a small stroke when I got the concussion in September from having syncope and hitting my head on cement. We don't know conclusively right now, but it's possible. I guess it doesn't matter either way, because what's done is done, and I've got the same symptoms regardless. But it was still one of those things you don't really want to hear.

My mom was second-guessing my friends' decision not to haul me off to the ED that day. I think that's ridiculous. How many times a month do I pass out/fall down? I probably hit my head a good proportion of those. It's ludicrous to think that I should shuffle off to the hospital every time, and the only real "symptom" I had that day was a bit of clumsiness after it was over. Which also isn't particularly out of the ordinary for me. We only realized it was a concussion when I developed a constant headache 24/7 for days and weeks afterward that didn't resolve. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

For everyone else who has frequent syncope/falls, are you suffering serious injuries? Don't you hurt horribly and have headaches after nearly every fall? How can you possibly tell without waiting it out a few days whether it's going to be just another sprain/bruise/goose egg (not warranting a trip to hospital) or an actual broken bone/concussion this time (necessitating a trip to the ED)?

Hi,

I had many injuries when I faint, at least 3 concussions, a herniated disk and many torn ligaments. I have constant pain from some of those injuries.

I did not go to the ER when I had the consussions but I went to my PT. It took several visits to get better, almost 2 months each time.

I can't tell you when to go to the ER because I am terrified to go myself and somtimes I think that I might die because I don't want to go. So I am not a realiable source of advice on the aspect of your question.

Ernie,

At least I know I'm not being weird. I just really try to avoid the ED because it seems like they don't want to see you unless a bone is sticking out through your skin or your heart completely stops beating or you aren't breathing. I pretty much only go now if I get specific instructions from my doctor that he wants me to head there.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had so many injuries. The herniated disk sounds so painful! :-( My worst so far was going down the cement steps in front of my house head first. It took forever for all that to heal up, but I don't think it did any permanent damage so I guess I was lucky. Are you able to take anything for the pain?

Hi,

I take anti-inflammatory Naproxen for pain. I also go to the PT once or twice a week. When I was fainting 10x a day I would go to the PT 3 x week.

My PT also recommended that I buy a TENS unit which I did last Friday. It does not cure but it helps the body to produce endorphine to decrease pain.

I had my herniated disk when the EMT dropped me on the hardword floor directly on my spine. It was extremelly painful and I had to take Dilaudid, a derivative of morphine for a month. I had told the EMT that I was not able to stand and they did not believe me and tried to stand me up. They just dropped me on the floor as I fainted. They tried to catch me with my T-Shirt so I woke with only my bra and a herniated disk.