Cleveland Clinic

cvincent

Hey everyone, My doctor recently told me that he is probably going to send me to the Cleveland Clinic. I know a lot of people have been treated there. I guess I'm just wondering about your expiriences. Im not really sure at this point about going. Ive had POTS for 4 years now and know what a lot of the treatment options are and I also know that there isnt a cure. Im just worried that if I go down there with the hope that they can help me feel better they might just tell me that there isnt anything that they can do that I havent already tried. I just dont want to get my hopes up and then be let down again. Thanks for any input.

Candace

I'd do a search on cleveland clinic. A lot of folks have been. I believe the consensus is that they are really good with diagnostics and less good for followup. I had a mixed experience. But the tweaking of my treatment has helped me quite a bit, though it seemed like minor tweaking at the time. I'm debating whether to make a followup trip, but don't know if I will get new ideas.

The tests they did on me were a tilt table, which showed pots and oh, even when on meds. they then did more testing to determine if the cause is neurological or vascualr. they did hemodynamic testing, to show where my blood pools when I change positions. They would have tested for blood volume, but I'm allergic to their contrast agent. they then checked autonomic reflexes--valsalva, sweat, hr variability. The upshot is that my reflexes are intact, but I pool too much because of poorly constricting veins. I also have a "hyperkinetic" heart. The new recommendations involved increased florinef to increase blood volume, cardiac rehab, and an abdominal binder after I eat. No explanation of my nocturnal chest pain, and no real interest in helping me figure out what that was about, which is disappointing. They were not as good about communicating betweeen departments as I might have liked.

The tests they did on me were a tilt table, which showed pots and oh, even when on meds. they then did more testing to determine if the cause is neurological or vascualr. they did hemodynamic testing, to show where my blood pools when I change positions. They would have tested for blood volume, but I'm allergic to their contrast agent. they then checked autonomic reflexes--valsalva, sweat, hr variability. The upshot is that my reflexes are intact, but I pool too much because of poorly constricting veins. I also have a "hyperkinetic" heart. The new recommendations involved increased florinef to increase blood volume, cardiac rehab, and an abdominal binder after I eat. No explanation of my nocturnal chest pain, and no real interest in helping me figure out what that was about, which is disappointing. They were not as good about communicating betweeen departments as I might have liked.

Where any of these tests really scary? Like did you suffer having to undergo most of that testing? My TTT was excruciating and I'd hate to ever have to do it again. I thought I was dying with my BP dropping below 40/20. I'm hoping the other testing isn't as traumatic. Took a week to recover from the one of my worst POTS episodes afterwards, too.

Melissa, I read your description of your ttt right before I had mine and was freaked! they were very humane at CC--told me I could stop the test at any point, and they were not trying to bring me to the brink-- just noting a trend. It wasn't that bad.

the other testing wasn't that bad-- but we all react differently.