Started Nortriptyline Last Night

dsdmom

Last night I took my first dose of nortriptyline. I was prescribed this for pain & sleep issues that I have been having lately. I've been waking up in tears because everything hurts so badly. My doc prescribed 10mg in a capsule form. I dumped out 1/2 so took 5mg and immediately felt drowsy (but nice!) but then it wore off so I took another maybe 3 mg for a total 8mg. I slept GREAT. Did not wake up in pain but did wake up @6am and took more tylenol. Fell back to sleep until about 9am. But had a very hard time getting going this morning. Felt very light headed and tachy even though I wasn't that tachy. And my bp really hasn't been too low either, I just feel really out of it and dizzy. The pharmacist said a hangover feeling would probably go away in a couple of weeks if I got one.

anyway, my question is - do I stick it out? I hate feeling so out of it and that makes me have zero patience for my 2 year old daughter which is unfair to her. I really need to drop on my prednisone tomorrow (am starting to get puffy face) and am afraid I'm overdoing the whole thing. But, the doc said it could take a few days for the pain relief properties to kick in and I did sleep great....so it's a toss up. Just wondering if anybody else has experience w/ nortriptyline or elavil (amitriptyline).

I am so tired I don't know if any of that made sense!

I nearly gave up on a new med the other year and I was so glad that a doctor persuaded me to give it a go for longer, the side effects settled after 2 weeks. I haven't been on the med you mention but I have taken Dothiepin (a different tricyclic med). When I started on that I was also in severe pain but my GP had given me Temazepam for a few nights first so perhaps I didn't notice such severe hang-over effects? I did take the med for quite a while without daytime side-effects.

Hope that helps, personally I'd give it another go but maybe you could talk to your pharmacist?

Flop

Thanks Flop. I am so sensitive to meds that my body just might need to adjust. It's just hard being so out of it during the day w/ a 2 year old to take care of. I took a 3-hour nap this afternoon (ridiculous I know) and when I woke up I was so dizzy and nauseated that I vomited. I spoke w/ my doc tonight and he wants me to stick it out a couple more days to see if these side effects abate. Of course that means not dropping on my prednisone yet...when will it end???

Anyway, what side effects did you have for those first 2 weeks?

The med I started was an SSRI (praoxetine) so has different side-effects to the one you are trying. For me the problem was vertigo, nausea, vomiting, dilated pupils and visual problems (looked like things were getting close/further repeatedly in my vision). The first day i had to be driven home from work and lie down in the dark (still felt very funny). The next day i took half a pill and the problems were less. After a week I went back up to the full tablet and a week after that I felt pretty much back to normal.

I hope things settle down for you quickly,

Flop