Migraine Related Vertigo

helen.t

Hi Folks, I was diagnosed with having Migraine related Vertigo a few months back and told that even when I don't have pain of migraine I am still having one due to the Vertigo I get. Does anyone else have this or is it unusual? I have Pots and Vestibular Impairment as well. I just wondered whether it was a common feature of Pots as I know others are bothered with migraines but not heard of related vertigo associated with them. Thanks for any interest shown, I will be grateful for any reply's. Helen

When my son first developed POTS symptoms, he was diagnosed with Migraine Related Vertigo - also without the pain of the migrane. He was put on Nortryptaline, which made him feel worse. Eventually we found out that he had POTS. I've always assumed since then that the Migraine was a misdiagnosis rather than him having both disorders. If you've already been diagnosed with POTS, that would explain the dizziness, wouldn't it?

I have migraines with vertigo...I haven't been told that when I have vertigo and no migraine pain that I am still having a migraine, but I havent asked either, or looked into it at all...but it would make sense. I would be willing to say that its probably a POTS thing, I dont know much about your other condition, but that definitely sounds to me like something POTS related.

I have migraine-related vertigo. sometimes I just get the vertigo, sometimes it precedes pain. I take klonopin when it happens, as benzodiazapenes calm down the vestibular system. I was told that these are part of "vertebrobasilar migraines"-- I also get strange one-sided weakness and numbness. Hard to tell what's dysaut and what's migraine sometimes, but my migraine doc told me that migraines and dysautonomia are related. It does mean no triptans, like imitrex, as the neuro symptoms mean a reduction in bloodflow, and if you over constrict it, you could cause stroke. the vertigo is another type of migrainous aura.

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your replies which have been very interesting! I find it hard to know what is Pots related dizziness and the whole migraine/vertigo business. I have a falling over feeling almost all the time and have to be really slow at turning round or moving from one position to another. My eyes are affected badly too which means I can't go on computer for long. Does anybody else have that falling over feeling almost like your being pushed to the side? I also lose feeling down my left side and have great weakness and kind of almost lose consiousness/black-out, but not completely, for a minute or two, especially in certain positions. Is this all migraine related do you think or more a Dysautonomia/Pots thing? Thanks again, Helen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Helen-

I found your post very interesting....I recently went to the ent for a vertigo problem. They are sending me for the VNG Test because I'm constantly feeling off balance and have waves of vertigo. I cannot tolerate the computer for too long, I cannot stay on the phone for too long, and all sort of lights bother me. Same symptoms that you may experience? I was diagnosed with POTS in Feb. of 2008 and then was later diagnosed with Autonomic Neuropathy by a neurologist. Basically, I feel like it is the same diagnosis. But, I mention to the neuro about all this dizzy/light sensitivity problems and he told me to get any inner ear thing ruled out. He said its either some inner ear issue or its the migraines without the headaches. My head never really hurts-I'm always dizzy/off balance! Feel free to reply or comment...

Thanks-

Christine

Well I know for me my migraines, are becuase of POTS. So when I have a migraine, I always know that it is b/c of POTS, now the symptoms during the migraine (i.e. falling down, black outs, blurry vision, vertigo...etc.) I dont know if they are from the actual migraine or POTS. I would guess the migraine, but since the migraine is from POTS, then that would indirectly make the symptoms of the migraine from POTS as well. Sorry if that is confusing, it made sense in my head, but that doesnt mean that it actually makes sense, haha. I hope that helps a little at least. Did you perhaps have migraines before you got POTS...if so did you have these symptoms you are experiencing now then as well, or are they a new thing?

No...never really get headaches/migraines! I think I've had this off balance problem for a while....close to when I got diagnosed. But, it really hasn't been as bothersome until 2 months or so ago. I don't black-out or anything. I just lose my balance, dizzy/off balance, and sometimes just lay in bed and the room will start spinning/or I feel like I'm spinning. I cannot tolerate the computer for too long and have a hard time talking on the phone for too long. Something with the sound....aggravates it all!! So, I don't know if I'm experiencing migraines without the head pain part?!? Or if I just have some sort of inner ear thing going on and the neuropathy is aggrevating it all. Have you ever had the Videonystagmorgraphy test done? Do you take a medicine for the migraines on a daily basis or as needed?