Midodrine And Breast Feeding?

lalalisa

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have stayed on Midodrine while breast feeding? I'm on it now while pregnant but I'm wondering if it's different while breast feeding for the baby? I am going to talk with my OB as well but wondered what your experiences have been?

Thanks!

Lisa

I was a La Leche League member for a dozen years and there use to be a place in San Diego that I would call with all of my drug questions. But I can't seem to locate their number, or even know if they are still in business. It's been a long time since I needed them. What I do see is a lot of ... "we don't know if Midodrine is excreted in breast milk" references. Most likely you will need to provide your own data and make an informed decision with your pediatrician. See if you can find out what the half-life and peak levels are in the blood. For instance I think I saw (but you should check for yourself) that Midodrine reaches peak in about 1 to 2 hours after a dose of has a half-life of about 3 to 4 hours. Depending on when you are taking it, you may be able to work your breast feeding schedule around your meds. With very little ones, some Moms may pump and dump when they are at peak levels in the breast milk.

In my own experience, I know I had to see several doctors before I found one that would be willing to work with me and my nursling.

Good luck finding the right options that work for you and your baby.

~EM