You Know You're A Rarity When....

cardiactec

first off, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cardiologist. I think he is wonderful. It is awful however knowing that there isnt much left for him to offer for help...........saw him in the office today as the past three days i've been really short winded. my pulse in his office was 190 SITTING ON MEDS (this was sinus tachy/POTS/not SVT). He about went through the roof as my HR's had been doing pretty good. lol, he tossed his stethascope at me and told me to listen to my heart because initially he took my pulse wrong (he said it was so thready, that he thought my pulse was around 120). i took his scope, listened, and he said "I think my numbers were wrong, you're more like 190" ..............

EVEN WITH my stomach issues, today and yesterday have been ok with nausea and i have been able to take in foods/fluids, so i was shocked to see my rates in the 190's......

You know you're a rarity when you go see your cardiologist, he takes your pulse to find it at 190, and tells you "see you in three months". :ph34r:;)

I just hope my HR isnt like that the next day my GI surgery is scheduled, they won't TOUCH me! the cardio mentioned trying round four with florinef, midodrine, etc basically all the meds i've tried that havent helped but then, as i was thinking, he said "but why try them again when they didnt help the first three times trying them......." he also didnt want to increase my beta blocker because my systolic pressure sitting was 100 and he said even though my pressure wasnt that low, he didnt want to drop it out with more BB, especially when it's hard to keep me upright anyway with a pressure of 100 systolic and a heart rate of 190!

yikes.

Hi Angela,

190 on beta-blockers, I hate to think what your rate would be like off them!

Have you heard of a relatively new med called Ivabradine (brand name Procorolan in the UK)? It is a med that I am hoping to try soon. It is licenced in the UK for treatment of stable angina in patients intolerant or contra-indicated for beta-blockers. It slows down the sinus node which reduces heart rate, but it has no effect on electrical conduction outside the SA node and no effect on BP. It works by blocking the If channel in the sinus node. Apparently the only other part of the body that has a similar channel is the retina of the eye so the most common side-effect is visual disturbance (halos arround lights).

I note that some recent trials looking at reduction in cardiac events showed that it lowered HR but didn't prevent events. I know that wouldn't be the benefit we would be looking for but it may have a negative impact on availability of this medication. I don't even know if it is FDA approved.

I haven't yet tried this med and don't know if it would be helpful or not but it may be worth asking your cardiologist to research it?

Flop