Epival Or Divalproex

Ernie

Hello, Ernie:

I assume that your doc is prescribing this medication to prevent migraines (rather than a medicine to take when you get a migraine). I haven't taken this particular drug.

I used to take Neurontin (3600 mg/day) to help prevent migraines. Neurontin also seemed to help with the other POTS systems. Last year, I changed to Lyrica. My Washington DC neurologist and Dr. Grubb both thought Lyrica was a "cleaner" drug. I take 150 mg of Lyrica in am and in pm. I also take Zoloft to help with POTS/Migraines.

My migraines (knock on wood) are controlled so well these days. Perhaps 1-2 headaches a month that respond to 1 dose of Maxalt. Before I had migraines frequently throughout the month. Some landed me in hospital for several days.

Let us know how you are doing.

Lois

Thanks Lois for your answer.

I am presently taking Topomax and Axert and even on those 2 meds I have migraines every day. I went to the drugstore and got the new medication. The pharmacist told me that it is not a medication for psychosis but to enhance the effect of other medication and mainly for seizure. So I think I am going to give it a go either tonight or tomorrow night.

I took it for seizures some years ago and it didn't work. I get a few migraines (maybe one a month) and it didn't make any difference to those either. I was on quite a big dose by the end and the side effects really started to show (nausea, hair loss, weight gain, felt sleepy), but they weren't that bad and would have been quite tolerable if the drugs had worked. Certainly better than a daily migraine.

I know someone (without ANS issues) that takes the drug when she gets migraines (rather than all the time) and it has been great for her and the only thing that has worked and stopped recurring clusters of migraines. Probably since she just takes them as and when necessary, she doesn't suffer from the common side effects I mentioned above.

Hope it works out for you.