What Are Symptoms Of Gerd?

sheba

I think I may have GERD but no heart burn but I do have alot of chest pain and a burning senstion in my stomach. The chest pain also feels like a tingling sensation and my throat have tightness. I also have a disturbinging tingle in my left arm to. Do anyone have any idea what this can be?

There common symptoms of GERD (GORD in the UK because we spell oesophagus with an o) are:

- burning pain in the epigastrium (the bit of the abdomen at the top just beneath the ribs/breastbone)

- burning pain in the centre of the chest

- waterbrash - bitter/acidic liquid coming back up into your mouth

- burping

- symptoms worse after eating rich / spicy foods

- symptoms worse on lying down

the problem is that even hospitals have to do tests to tell the difference between reflux and heart pain so it is always best to get symptoms checked out by a doctor before assuming that it is GERD.

Hope that helps,

Flop

My main symptoms are chronic chest pain that feels like a bruised sternum, a chronic sore throat, and sinus pain. I don't have the "classic" symptoms at all, although I do occasionally get a sharp chest pain that radiates to my left arm. My doc has decided it's probably GERD after ruling out heart and lung problems.

It is important to rule out sinister heart problems, but if you have weird, unexplainable chest pain you might want to consider GERD. I've just been eating differently for a week and I already feel a lot better. I wish my doc and I had figured this out a long time ago!

good luck,

jump

For me I really didn't notice a significant increase in symptoms after I ate at all. It's been more just this chronic, persistent pain, all the time. I noticed it was a little worse in the morning, which I always assumed was just another weird POTS thing since everything feels worse in the morning, but now I suspect it's because lying down makes GERD worse. I think it's very possible to have GERD without the classic "burning after eating" problems.

Hi,

I think everyone else covered it pretty well. For me GERD can be worse after eating, but also is there to some degree all the time. My symptoms tend to be more of the burping, acid taste/feel coming back up the esophagus and mouth, and nausea. Sometimes I will have stomach pain/burning/cramping due to eating the "wrong" foods.

What you describe could be a number of things including GERD. Best thing would be to discuss it with a dr. and possibly get testing like an endoscopy done to see if there are signs of acid reflux.

GERD / GORD = Gastro (O)esophageal Reflux Disease, which is the same as acid reflux. An upper endoscopy (OGD) (oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy) might show inflammation in the stomach or evidence that acid has been burning the oesophagus. Another test that is useful for diagnosing GORD is oesophageal pH study (+/-manommetry) where a probe is put via your nose into the stomach and it measures the acidity (+/- pressure) in the oesophagus.

Flop