Eating

sheba

Pots is new for me and I notice that from reading about different foods that can trigger episodes I am almost not eating much of anthing. I notice that I am still loosing weight not really sure if it's from depression or if it's something related to POTS. I know I feel really nervous when I start to eat and it feels like my thoat is closing in on me. I have lots of racing thoughts lately especially sincce I just lost my uncle 2 days ago. I think I may need a Thearapist or something to help with absorb these weird things going on with my body now. I have some tingling going on in my hands where is that coming from? I also have joint pain not sure why but my electro doc did not tell me all this would be going on but I wish someone tell me sonething b4 I loose it.

I'm sorry to hear you are having a difficult and stressful time.

Are there some foods you particularly enjoy? Perhaps you can eat those more often in the short term to get your confidence back.

If I'm struggling with POTS, I tend to eat food that is easily digested (high GI is good in this instance), as for me its length of digestion time rather than the particular food that matters.

If you continue to feel unable to eat, I sense you may need professional advice sooner rather than later.

POTS is a real pain, but it is not life threatening. I hope you can take some comfort from this. You have lots of other issues to deal with and don't be embarrassed to ask for help if you need it.

Best wishes.

Guest tearose

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle hopfulcase2. Saddness of this nature certainly would add to my symptoms.

Not eating is just not an option if you are trying to not loose any more strength. When I say foods trigger symptoms I usually mean certain foods will aggravate my gastroparesis and GERD. These are related to my ANS trouble and I manage these.

If I am having bad nausea, from my heartrate being too high and getting dizzy and weak this is a different thing. In either case, I have worked with a gastro dr and a nutritionist to come up with a whole menu of foods to take in that will keep me from losing weight and getting weaker. I use shake mixes, protein supplementation and broths and liquids of various types. It may take you some trying, but see if you can tolerate a type of breakfast shake or soup. Look around your local health food shop and call your dr. if you are unsure. Just use your good judgment and common sense and don't let your intake dwindle for any length of time! You certainly don't want to end up in a hospital needing an IV.

You mention you seem to be feeling a deep level of despair. I am so sorry for this. It can be very isolating having a somewhat orphan type of disorder. You are among others like you here though! If you want to speak with someone one on one, then all you have to do is pick up the phone and make a call! (Ask your pcp or a friend for a referral) I have a quote to share, "Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional". You will learn how to deal with the pains and aches, losses and annoyances of this syndrome/disorder but you must not sit and suffer. There are/will be losses and are/ will be adaptations and this is all so new to you! Give yourself more time to learn. You will never walk this path alone unless You want to!

sending you hope and comforting thoughts,

tearose

I am terrified becausee Im not sure of what was going on with me and it has really changed my life dramatically. I have been tortured by my on bad thinking and negative thoughts to the point of falling into depression. Thanks Tea Rose and Cat for teaching me alot of things I was unsure of.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. At my lowest point, I would just sit on my back porch and cry. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I was tired of doctors, I was angry that this was happening, I missed my "normal" life, I felt like I was going crazy.

The brain fog and inability to concentrate or make decisions was very hard for me because I am the type to be in control of things. I slowly, but surely learned to let go a little. It was hard and I still struggle with that sometimes, but my husband has had to take over bill paying and other decision making for the most part. I reserve my energy and brain power for taking care of my daughter.

The physical part is stressful too. I have permanent nerve damage in both arms and legs and lots of muscle weakness and pain. It is hard to accept at times, but you finally learn to do things differently than you used to. You learn what works for you and what doesn't.

On occasion, I have had trouble swallowing and that scared the you know what out of me. My POTS doctor said it goes along with this disorder and suggested I learn what sets that off for me. Oddly enough, dry foods like crackers, bread or chips wasn't the problem like he thought it would be. I have more problems with pudding, yogurt, mashed potatoes, jello, marshmallows...things that are thick. It is like my throat just closes up.

If I am going to eat something like that, I have to take very small bites and really think about swallowing. Maybe you can experiment and find out what type of foods is triggering this sensation in you.

Another reason for not eating is the nausea...some days I have to force myself to eat at all. That gets better over time. Please be patient with yourself and know you are not alone. If talking to a professional will help, go do it. Don't let this go too long because you can make yourself sicker with the worry. Let us know how you are getting along.