How Much Water Do You Typically Drink In A Day

Hi,

I get dehydrated easily etc. so I tend to drink a lot 3-5 liters a day. Even with drinking a lot yesterday I got dehydrated in the heat etc. and had to work to consume more water to rehydrate. I sweat so much etc. that I can easily get dehydrated. I also made sure to consume a good amount of salt to help hold on to the water. I also drank electrolyte water (like Smart Water) with an electrolyte packet (Electromix) to help with the dehydration. As I went through all of this I started to feel better so I could tell this was what I needed. Also, due to dehydration and the incoming storms I got a pretty bad migraine that has kept coming back. I find electrolytes often help me with the migraines (especially magnesium). I also couldn't sleep and felt warm (overheated), like the beginning of heat exhaustion. Not fun! Proper hydration is key. To hold on to the water and for other body processes one needs electrolytes. How much is dependent on how much you use and how much your body requires to function properly. I myself have to supplement and normally based on how I feel is how I know I need some. I can tell that is what I need, because my body responds positively to supplementation. One of the things that tends to tip me off is muscle cramps etc. if I need potassium.

But, everyone is different and by working with you dr. on what to try, through trial and error you have to listen to your body, and to what it needs.

There is not always a simple straight forward answer. You have to find what works for you. It depends on what is physiologically going on with you, to what you need.

Hope that helps!

Guest tearose

mary asked for more information,

Go to a large supermarket or any large pharmacy, in the asile near baby formula there is a section with pedialyte. Or, ask the pharmacist where to look. The packets are usually called kayolectrolyte or infalyte. They are sold in a small box of four or five packets.

best regards,

tearose

While on the subject of drinking water, ironically my mouth has been feeling particularly drier than normal lately. Even though I drink water, my mouth feels dry and it's a little difficult to swallow because of the dryness. What's interesting is that this has recently occurred since I have upped my water intake, as I don't think I was drinking enough before, so I got myself a 27oz bottle and sip from that all day long. I have been drinking around 64oz of water/day, sometimes a little more, but less than 3L. The more I drink it seems the drier my mouth gets. I haven't had dry mouth like this in the past. Just noticed it starting a couple days ago. Anyone know why this would occur? Is having a dry mouth like that a common symptom? I know it could be a side effect from my meds, but I doubt it cause I've been on them for a while and have not had a problem with dry mouth.

I've been reading some about hydration and dehydration and electrolytes. The amount of water you should drink and the amount of electrolytes, if any, one should substitute does not appear to be an easy formula. Drink too little...that's bad...drink to much, that's bad...not having enough electrolytes...that's bad. I have actually tried to avoid salt since a couple years ago my cardiologist said that I was at risk for high bp, but haven't had a problem with that. I seem to sweat a fair amount though as my hands always seem clammy and my feet are usually cold and sweaty, but this is not new.

James

hmmm... i am questioning if I really do have POTS... i am really in the minority here... I have major edema so obviously my body holds fluids too well.... though I am starting to wonder if it is because I don't drink enough and my body goes into like a starvation mode, except with fluids and holds them but again, I am NEVER thirsty... that in and of itself is very strange.... always has been... if I drink 20 oz of fluid a day it's a ton... and I know, that's far too little but I too pee all the time, with or without fluid but don't have diabetes. I am going to try to push myself more and drink more and maybe also supplement with electrolytes.... my potassium is always borderline low, but i don;'t want the extra salt... i wonder if those packets come without extra sodium???

Hi!

I wanted to add some info on forms of electrolyte supplementation.

If you want electrolytes WITH OUT Sodium- Smart Water/Electrolyte Water, Vitamin Water, and the ElectroMix packets (sold at Whole Foods etc) do NOT have sodium. So, for those who want sodium as part of the electrolytes can add salt to the drink.

Drinks with sodium and significant electrolytes- Gatorade (also has on the go packets), Coconut Water, Pedialyte, Mineral Water (varies), Sobe Life Water, Clif Shot (large amounts of sodium), Power Bar electrolyte powder (also high in sodium and have now seen in small packets at the grocery store for ease of having with you on the go).

Things to watch are the sugar/carb content and if it has artificial sweetners such as sucralose.

Hope that helps!