Dehydration Help

Carly87

Guest tearose

This is not a simple formula to figure out. Each person has different challenges. Some people need more water and some need less. Some people need IV's on a regular basis. Some take salt tablets.

Please don't assume 64oz of water is the "right" amount for everyone including yourself. We have had to learn through experience and working with our physicians to come up with a treatment plan including the best amount of fluid and electrolytes.

We are all so different, I for example, have other physical challenges so I must limit my sodium so I do not swell. I must pump my left arm and left leg twice daily to remove excess fluid in my arm and leg. Simply put, I must use the smallest amount of sodium to help my POTS and not to increase retention in my arm and leg. I am usually getting enough sodium in my daily diet so I do not use electrolytes unless I "know" I am out of balance. I usually get symptoms that are my early warning signs that I may benefit from adding electrolytes. I know my body. If I am starting to feel unquenchably thirsty or it has been a more "symptomatic" day I will consider using electrolytes.

The packets are not cheap either! I treat these as I do a medication and use only when necessary.

I experienced water intoxication after my physician had suggested I increase my fluid intake! After that, he did some bloodwork and he saw right there the negative side effects of having me "force fluids". I in fact did flush out my sodium and potassium. He never wants me to do this again. Now he trusts that I have a good sense of the right level of hydration. He did have me add magnesium supplements to help hold potassium in my body.

I wish my body was as predictable as you seem to think bodies are. I can NEVER count on predictability! In fact, my heartrate, blood pressure, body temperature, digestion, elimination...all my bodily systems are doing their own thing. I have learned to go with the flow and be more flexible. I do my best to avoid any things that would trigger more symptoms but this changes with the weather, level of my activity, exposure to colds or viruses...etc.

I generally experience water intoxication rarely since I am more in tune with what is best.

This would be a topic to discuss in detail with your personal physician. You may not have any need for supplementing with electrolytes!

best regards,

tearose