Short Pr On Ekg

tiger

The PR interval on ecg means the time it takes for the electrical impulses to travel from the sinus node, down through the AV node, down to the ventricles. a short PR generally is less than .12 msec and can be a normal variant. a short PR in general is indicative of faster acceleration of electrical impulses from SA, to AV node to the ventricles. this can be seen with certain preexcitation arrhythmias/paroxysmal tachycardias. for example with WPW syndrome, baseline ecg usually shows a short PR, along with delta waves and some other findings as well. other causes are hypocalcemia or hypokalemia.

have you had a stress test? usually if there is a short PR seen on ecg and electrolye problems have been ruled out as the culprit, docs do stress testing to check for preexcitation (paroxysmal tachycardia - not sinus tach/pots). also, docs are more apt to do stress testing even more if patient is having periodic sensations of rapid heart rates.

I have always had a short PR interval on my tests too. No doctor has ever commented on it so I didn't think much of it until recently. I went for a sleep study and they saw it and were concerned. They want me to have a 12 lead Electrocardiogram to see if it is a problem or not. My guess is that the techs on my older tests didn't see any delta waves so they thought it was a normal variant but my sleep test showed delta waves so its possible I could have WPW. I am seeing a cardiologist in November but have a Echocardiogram and electrocardiogram next month.

I've seen the cardiologist on and off for years because I have Mitral valve prolapse and symptoms that I now know are from POTS. I would say that if he didn't catch WPW by now than I probably don't have it HOWEVER he missed the POTS diagnosis all this time and it was so obvious... . Best to just get it checked out. I have no idea about my calcium and potassium levels though...need to check those out too. 8 )

good luck!