Prednisone And Symptoms

mkoven

I posted earlier about how I'm having a cat scan of my heart next week. Because they are using a contrast agent that I've previously been allergic to, I have to premedicate with prednisone.

I'm a little concerned, as prednisone and I do not like each other. Besides making me super edgy/kind of nutty, I usually have a big crash of feeling shaky, faint, low blood sugar when I come off.

The doc isn't planning any sort of taper-- just a 50mg tablet before bed (like I'll be able to sleep!) and another one two hours before the procedure. So 100mgs within 12 hours. Yikes. My spouse has suggested putting me in a cage--and he's only half kidding.

Should I worry about a major crash when it wears off? Should I ask for a taper-- say 30 mgs the next day, 20, 10, 5 stop?

Or can I expect to just bounce back?

When i was once on prednisone for several weeks, coming off it was awful, and really flared my symptoms.

Another time I took it to premedicate before a procedure, with just two pills, but at a lower dose (30mgs), and still had a major crash, even after just two days.

Ideas? Advice?