Autonomic Testing

lil_kt

Hi i've finally got my appointment through to see prof m in London in june.

I'm a little anxious about the tests.

A few of you have told me what to expect & what the usual tests are, but i was wondering why do they do valsalva, squeezing tests? what would you usually expect to see happen with bp & heart rate? also has anyone who has gone to london for testing had the sweat test?

Thanks for any advie.

KT XXX

I've had that in London *** Prof M and just to warn you...it's not nice. It doesn't hurt as such but it's very, very, very uncomfortable indeed. Also when I had my results they came back unclear so it doesn't always guarentee results. I'm going back to London Tomorrow to see the rheumys to see if I an get furher tests.

Hello there!

I have been under Prof M for about 6 or 7 years now. In fact, I've just come back from 3 days of tests at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington last month.

I won't pretend that the tests are a whole lot of fun, but none of the ones I had actually hurt. The tilt table test is not very pleasant, but you will probably be tested by Madeleine and her assistants, who are really nice. If you want to stop, or are feeling unwell, they will halt the test straight away. In my tilt tests, I have had a variety of procedures done. On one occasion, they sampled blood periodically, as well as measuring BP and heart. Another tilt test I have had done a few times involved firstly lying there very still for quite a long, pretty boring, time. Then they tilted me upright, took BP measurements and lowered me when I had had enough. Another tilt test involved as I have just described, then lying there again, and then drinking some Complan, lying there again for about 20 minutes before being tilted upright again and more BP measurements. As I am worse after food, they were testing this on me, but your symptoms may be different.

The squeeze test is when you have to squeeze a sort of 'bladder' of air reasonably hard for 3 minutes, again testing BP.Your hand gets quite tired towards the end, but it doesn't hurt. They may also put your hand in an absolutely freezing ice bag for 3 minutes, measuring BP as you go. That is pretty uncomfortable, but after you take your hand out, it only takes a few minutes to get back to normal. Good luck, and remember these tests are designed to help you in the long run. Any more questions, just ask. P.S. Sweat test is in sauna - doesn't hurt, just v.hot.