Dr Grubb or Bev for Suspected Hyper POTS?

blueroses79

Hi everyone,  I seem to have POTS with high BP (prehypertension range consistently), and no one will touch it since Florinef would raise my BP.   My last Dr. suggested I see Dr. Grubb, go to Mayo or Vanderbilt (in that order, I think).  Toledo is closer to me than the other places.  But I would have to wait to see Dr. Grubb for nearly a year, and the symptoms of sympathetic overactivity are pretty distressing.  I could see Dr. Grubb's nurse (Beverly) sooner.  Has anyone with hyper POTS seen Dr. Grubb's nurse?  Is that a good route??

I have never met Dr. Grubb or Beverly, but have heard good things about both.  What I might say is that we have been to a major Autonomic doctor in CA and often see his PA.  She's just as good as he is, in my book.  Because they work so closely together they work kind of as one brain, you might say.  She is far more accessible than he and, therefore, we get more help.  They all have their limits, but if I were you, I would make the appointment with her and if she feels like there is something that he absolutely must see, she will find a way to have him meet up with you.  Our PA has done this several times!

2 hours ago, DizzyGirls said:

I have never met Dr. Grubb or Beverly, but have heard good things about both.  What I might say is that we have been to a major Autonomic doctor in CA and often see his PA.  She's just as good as he is, in my book.  Because they work so closely together they work kind of as one brain, you might say.  She is far more accessible than he and, therefore, we get more help.  They all have their limits, but if I were you, I would make the appointment with her and if she feels like there is something that he absolutely must see, she will find a way to have him meet up with you.  Our PA has done this several times!

Thanks so much!  

oh, no. In our recent website upgrade, we lost a few posts that we are still working on rretriving. In this topic, a woman was asking if anyone knew of Bev Karabin, as her sons initial appointment was with Dr Grubb, but follow up was schedule with NP. Runnersmom if you see this would you mind chiming in? Well anyway, Dr. Grubb's assistant bev is supposed to be fantastic. She co-authors a great deal of his publications with him. Last summer I watched Bev's series on a dysautonomia organization website -- Educational Information and 504/IEP Planning for the Dysautonomia Student conducted. sponsored by DYNA kids

http://www.dynakids.org/Documents/ModafinilPOTS.pdf?_ga=1.21930232.2144663939.1484406703

We had a very good appointment with Dr. Grubb back in April 2016. I was frustrated with his office for not giving us a follow-up appointment with him, but we are now scheduled with Beverly. Based on Sarah's information, we are going to drive eight hours for a follow-up with Beverly. My son has high BP as well and found Dr. Grubb very knowledgeable how to treat him. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 3:35 PM, blueroses79 said:

Hi everyone,  I seem to have POTS with high BP (prehypertension range consistently), and no one will touch it since Florinef would raise my BP.   My last Dr. suggested I see Dr. Grubb, go to Mayo or Vanderbilt (in that order, I think).  Toledo is closer to me than the other places.  But I would have to wait to see Dr. Grubb for nearly a year, and the symptoms of sympathetic overactivity are pretty distressing.  I could see Dr. Grubb's nurse (Beverly) sooner.  Has anyone with hyper POTS seen Dr. Grubb's nurse?  Is that a good route??

I initially saw Beverly because it would be more than a year to see Dr. Grubb. I got in within a month or so and she was wonderful! I'm scheduled to go back next month for a follow-up and don't mind seeing her again. She has been with him for several years and the meds and advice she gave me were spot on. I think it's definitely a good route to get your foot in the door.

Best wishes!

3 hours ago, Potsie_Girl said:

I initially saw Beverly because it would be more than a year to see Dr. Grubb. I got in within a month or so and she was wonderful! I'm scheduled to go back next month for a follow-up and don't mind seeing her again. She has been with him for several years and the meds and advice she gave me were spot on. I think it's definitely a good route to get your foot in the door.

Best wishes!

Thanks!  That's super encouraging!! :)