My Daughter's Recovery

bkweavers

It's been almost 8 and 1/2 years since my daughter became ill with POTS at the age of 11. In the first couple of years, I was constantly on this forum. I can't imagine what I would've done without the help, advice, and support I received. Once in awhile, someone would post an update about their child with dysautonomia and how much better they were doing or how they were attending college. These posts would give me such hope for her future.

Now, I'm happy to report how well my 19 yr. old daughter is doing! For 3 and a half years, she was so dizzy that she could not even be upright - sit, walk, or stand. After that time, she had to learn how to walk again! After a year of feeling good, she ended up relapsing. She slowly improved and this past year has been her best year yet!The majority of her symptoms -dizziness, headaches, insomnia, brain fog, are completely gone. She is in her second year of college and though she is taking a small load, she is able to handle it. She still is on meds and does still need more sleep than the average person but she is finally enjoying the life of a teenager. She's done things I never thought would be possible- rock climbing, riding roller coasters, water skiing, and traveling.

I know that not everyone's story will turn out the way my daughter's has and I'm sorry for that. But, I hope that this will help someone. I pray for all of those living with this illness and fighting every day! My daughter is my hero for the way that she's handled herself. She could be angry at the time she lost. She could play the victim but she hasn't. In fact, people always marvel at her positive outlook on life.

Take care,

Brenda

This good news. Thanks for sharing your story! I am hoping my son's story turns out like this. He is 15 and we have finally figured out his underlying cause. So happy for you and your daughter.