Hyperadregenic Rushes But Bp To Low For Beta Blocker?

p8d

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with OH on ttt back in March. Taking fludricortisone, wear stockings, take salt capsules daily. My BP without the stockings is 140150s/70-80s. With stockings it varies but generally 130s/70s. I was diagnosed this week with hyperadregenic because of the rushes and epi/norepinephrine tests indicated that as the reason. Dr suggested beta blocker but only if standing BP goes over 100 (lower #, spacing which one that is). This rarely happens but the nor/epi rushes happen a couple times a day. Anyone else have this? Any other way to handle the rushes (I have been taking xanax prescribed by hospitalist) but want to treat the cause, not the symptom. Thanks for any insight.

I'm confused. What are your bp lows that they are worried about? My bp was in the 90/60 range all the time when they tried me on beta blockers for the POTS. I only stopped it because it caused problems with my breathing due to mast cell issues. It didn't lower my bp, although it was a concern so we started at a super low dose.

Hi P8d,

I have a similar situation with having to take a PRN dose of meds for high BP, but mine is of Clonidine if my BP goes over 180/110 and also have the diagnosis of a hyper component. I have orthostatic hypertension.

I saw you mentioned in your title that your BP is too low for a beta blocker, do you mean low for you typically? I usually run higher, so when my BP is around 110-100 systolic I feel really symptomatic. I wanted to also share with you that I've been on Ativan (another benzodiazepine) to help block catecholamine production (norepinephrine/Epinephrine levels). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4014019 There's been past discussions on these also if youd like to search.

While that's been helpful, Propranolol (beta blocker) has been the most helpful for me with the hyper component, as well as clonidine.

Thanks for the replies and link to the article. I'm confused too. I guess they are concerned about the BP dropping too low because I am extremely sensitive to meds. Strangely this am (after taking a 1250mg does of magnesium malate at bedtime for the first time, no idea if that is related) my BP without stockings, still in bed, supine was 108/59, after standing was 94/74, HR went from 81 to 96. I drank 16oz of water in between lying and standing. After adding stockings and biking for 45 minutes, sitting BP was 137/83, standing 119/79, HR 80. They gave me a script for propranolol at 5mg but said not to take it if lower BP number not over 100. I had one am BP reading last week without stockings Of 169/123, but I'm thinking it was not correct. The lower number with stockings had been in the 90s during the rushes. I'm going to keep monitoring the am BP. I really appreciate your help.