Anyone Going To Dr. Amir Zia In Kentucky?

Guest Sandy Sims

Guest Sandy Sims
I am currently a patient of Dr. Zia's. Have you seen him? I guess I have been seeing him since around October, 2007. What sort of info. are you looking for?

I just wondered if he does autonomic testing--and if he would be a good doctor to have if you were from out of town like I will be.

Do you like him?

Does he do well with autonomic disorders?

Will he allow a visit of more than 10 minutes? (I'll be driving for two days to see him).

Basically I'd sort of like to know what he does so I'd know what to expect I guess.

I have MVP, orthostatic hypotension, tachy, repeated infections, new allergies, mult vitamin def, and sleep problems with elevated norenephrine levels. My problems are cardio, GI, Infectious, Endo, and so I guess I'm wondering how one doctor could handle all of this from out of town--since none of my local docs seem to know much about dysautonima past saying I have it then throwing up hands when beta blockers didn't work and saying I need to find someone else to treat this.

Thanks, in advance for any info you'd like to share. :blink:my email

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Yes, I do really like Dr. Zia. I drive 2 hours to see him and find it is worth it. I had not been firmly diagnosed when I first went to him and had struggled with severe symptoms for many years. He immediately knew what was wrong and has the diagnostic testing available in his office.

He has a tilt table, a tech who does nerve studies, and other testing. He will spend as much time with you as you need and he explains things well. I have never felt rushed and he is very accommodating if you need documentation for any reason. He is also very good about reminding you that it is not just "in your head". He validates your concerns and I have never felt like he was brushing me off.

Dr. Zia also set me up with a wonderful cardiologist. They work well together and communicate info between them so I feel that my care is the best it can be. I was admitted to the hospital there in March and both of them visited daily and kept me well informed on what was happening and what they were looking for. Unless it is life threatening, I will never go to the local hospital again...I had the best experience I have ever had in a hospital. Everything from the ER to the testing done...they were all kind and professional.

The only thing I had any problem with in regards to Dr. Zia was some scheduling mix ups. The office worker that did this a couple of times is no longer there and I haven't had that problem anymore. Once I explained to them I was driving so far and couldn't afford to get there and have a scheduling problem, they were much more careful. I would advise you to tell them your situation up front and make them aware that you want a confirmed appointment and plenty of time to discuss things with Dr. Zia. They may be able to keep an appointment open for the same day or next day for any testing he may want done.

Be sure to take all your records and any documentation you have done yourself on your symptoms, episodes, etc. He likes to know that a patient has done all they can to help themselves as well. He was impressed with my internet research and my detailed log of my symptoms. I had the dates and times of my episodes and any info. I thought would be any help. He commented that those records meant more than records from a doctor who had no clue what was going on because I know my body and my records gave him more clues.

I hope I have answered your questions. Feel free to email me if you would like to know anything else. Good luck!!!

Guest Sandy Sims

Thanks for this info!

If you have this, maybe you know how difficult it can be to find a doctor who gets it. Some can be downright rude. Ok so they don't understand. But driving for two days to get that "look" was more than I felt I could face again.

Knowing I won't have to is a HUGE relief!

One more question? Did they draw NE levels during the tilt? Are you hyperadrenal for norenephrine like I am?

Again,THANKS!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Yes, I do really like Dr. Zia. I drive 2 hours to see him and find it is worth it. I had not been firmly diagnosed when I first went to him and had struggled with severe symptoms for many years. He immediately knew what was wrong and has the diagnostic testing available in his office.

He has a tilt table, a tech who does nerve studies, and other testing. He will spend as much time with you as you need and he explains things well. I have never felt rushed and he is very accommodating if you need documentation for any reason. He is also very good about reminding you that it is not just "in your head". He validates your concerns and I have never felt like he was brushing me off.

Dr. Zia also set me up with a wonderful cardiologist. They work well together and communicate info between them so I feel that my care is the best it can be. I was admitted to the hospital there in March and both of them visited daily and kept me well informed on what was happening and what they were looking for. Unless it is life threatening, I will never go to the local hospital again...I had the best experience I have ever had in a hospital. Everything from the ER to the testing done...they were all kind and professional.

The only thing I had any problem with in regards to Dr. Zia was some scheduling mix ups. The office worker that did this a couple of times is no longer there and I haven't had that problem anymore. Once I explained to them I was driving so far and couldn't afford to get there and have a scheduling problem, they were much more careful. I would advise you to tell them your situation up front and make them aware that you want a confirmed appointment and plenty of time to discuss things with Dr. Zia. They may be able to keep an appointment open for the same day or next day for any testing he may want done.

Be sure to take all your records and any documentation you have done yourself on your symptoms, episodes, etc. He likes to know that a patient has done all they can to help themselves as well. He was impressed with my internet research and my detailed log of my symptoms. I had the dates and times of my episodes and any info. I thought would be any help. He commented that those records meant more than records from a doctor who had no clue what was going on because I know my body and my records gave him more clues.

I hope I have answered your questions. Feel free to email me if you would like to know anything else. Good luck!!!

Sandy,

I just realized you are from Florida. How did you hear about Dr. Zia? I can't believe you can't find a doctor closer to you. I was told about him by Mayo Clinic and then found his info. on this site. He is the only Dr. I have found that specializes in POTS, NCS and similar disorders.

No, I did not have any blood work done during the tilt. However, he was just doing it for his own satisfaction. He had the results from a previous tilt I had done at another place and he thought from what the results showed, I had been told wrong. He said the results clearly showed a significant change in my HR and BP and I had been told everything was normal.

He also found that I have degenerative disc disease from some MRI's I had done previously. There again, I had been told that everything was normal. Turns out I have severe damage in my neck and spine. He couldn't believe that a doctor looked at these films and told me everything was fine. He reordered some scans and showed them to me...even I could see damage. He is very through and doesn't hide anything from you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Guest Sandy Sims

Thanks for this info! I'd already been asked to get films of my neck and brain scans. Was told they're normal by docs, but results how they're not AT ALL. Neck shows "severe formidal narrowing" Brain scan shows "Lesions typical of demilenating disorder."

Hadn't gotten the backup on tilt I had done since it was done WHILE I was first on Beta blockers--and end report says normal--but maybe it's not either. You just gave me food for thought. Am now not on Beta blockers due to VERY high BP spikes within a week and expect to have the tilt redone anyway. But maybe it isn't really normal either. So far nothing else has been so~~~~

Thanks!

Sandy

Sandy,

I just realized you are from Florida. How did you hear about Dr. Zia? I can't believe you can't find a doctor closer to you. I was told about him by Mayo Clinic and then found his info. on this site. He is the only Dr. I have found that specializes in POTS, NCS and similar disorders.

No, I did not have any blood work done during the tilt. However, he was just doing it for his own satisfaction. He had the results from a previous tilt I had done at another place and he thought from what the results showed, I had been told wrong. He said the results clearly showed a significant change in my HR and BP and I had been told everything was normal.

He also found that I have degenerative disc disease from some MRI's I had done previously. There again, I had been told that everything was normal. Turns out I have severe damage in my neck and spine. He couldn't believe that a doctor looked at these films and told me everything was fine. He reordered some scans and showed them to me...even I could see damage. He is very through and doesn't hide anything from you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.