Midodrine Backordered

srb

Hello all,

I have run into a situation - tried to refill Midodrine on Wednesday, my usual pharmacy said they have none and can't get more because it is backordered. (?) I am trying to take only half the amount to stretch the small supply I have left. Was able to get another nearby pharmacy to try to refill for me with what they have left on hand.

Trying to find out if this is an across the country issue, etc. Did some searching online and could only find it listed as backordered years ago.

Would appreciate others on Midodrine weighing in! I really rely on this med to get through my work week. Hope there isn't more trouble with Shire and the FDA.

Don't know about it being back ordered, but everytime the last four months I tried to fill my monthly script, I only get a partial, and have to come back the following week to get the rest. since I have to have one particular manufacturer because if my swallow issues, Im curious.

I don't take midodrine, but other meds that I've taken over the last couple of years have had issues with supply. Especially at my small local pharmacy that I've used for 30 years. Most of the time I end up at Walgreen's, and I hate going there. It takes days to get it filled, and 30 minutes to wait in line to pick it up.

I don't know, it's like there is a shortage in others meds as well, and not really sure what's going on in the pharma. industry.

Interesting. I'm not on midodrine... But could definately see how frustrating and unnerving that would be. I'll search online and see if i can find anything.ive used a compounding pharmacy in the past for meds. Not covered under my insurance but in some cases it was cheaper. I have issues swallowing and they could make some things in liquid form for me. Good luck. Keep us posted!!!

Thanks for weighing in... it is unnerving. I am so relieved the a nearby CVS still has a supply. Going to try to pick that up today. Was feeling just awful trying to skip doses. Slept poorly last night. I can't afford to be off the meds next week or so because I'm to be observed and evaluated in the classroom for a new class I'm teaching :o

i have had the same problem..either they have to order it or they give me a partial order...i finally told them i have been on this for 10 years and will be on it for the rest of my life and have used the same pharmacy and i get it refilled every month so could they please order enough for 3 months and then reorder when i get my last refill..have not had a problem since..but i live in a tiny town so they cater to us more than a big city would..

Well, I got it! I don't know if it is a different manufacturer but the pills look the same. I got mine at cvs. I should have asked them if they were having any trouble with it. Didn't do that because we were discussing cooking and spices as my friend there is from India and even crushes his own cinnamon by hand. Lol! Since I have been ill, I have gotten to know everyone at the pharmacy very well.

Midodrine (ProAmitine) is a potent vasoconstrictor - it constricts blood vessels in the periphery to raise blood pressure centrally. Since dysautonomia causes floppy blood vessels, blood pressure tends to drop because the vessels don't constrict properly to maintain BP. Midodrine strengthens these floppy vessels and re-directs blood flow toward vital organs and away from less vital places.

I have been on midodrine for years. At times, my pharmacy will give me a partial fill but, always has the full Rx in within a few days of the partial fill.

I have a huge problem with how drugs are supplied in this country. It's all based on greed. When a drug company develops a new drug, they have the exclusive patent on the drug for a certain number of years so they can charge what they want. This is why common drugs are in short supply - they are not money-makers and companies don't want to produce them anymore. You should see the list of drugs that are in short supply published by the FDA - very common every day drugs. Even drugs that are vital to hospital functioning are not being produced as much. If a company can cut way back on how much of a drug they make, they can raise the price to the consumer - law of "supply and demand".

Thanks for chiming in on both points, E Soskis! I just saw that FDA list, too, when I was trying to research the Mido problem. It's a long one.

I was not able to get even a partial fill and the pharmacist did not seem at all concerned and gave no indication of how long it might be. My level of functioning is significantly worse without Midodrine but I guess they don't understand the urgency for some reason?

It seems numerous people have had this supply issue, so at least it seems there isn't a problem with the drug's approval or something like that.

I feel so bad that you can't get your Midodrine! I know it really helps me so much so I think I know what you might be experiencing. Why wouldn't the pharmacist be more helpful for you? They should be aware of its importance. I hope you get it filled soon! Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently having the same issue with Midodrine being back-ordered. I usually get a partial & have to go back for the rest, but CVS has been trying to get it in for a week & hasn't been able to. I'm going to have to call around to other pharmacies because I'm out of pills. I told them that I can barely get out of bed without this medication, but they just said they'd keep trying to order it. I would think they would offer to help me track it down somewhere.

Hi TaraMc9, so sorry to hear you're having the same problem that I am! I am flabbergasted that my pharmacy didn't offer any assistance either. I had to insist that they at least call me when they receive some (which they still haven't). I was able to get a month's worth via a local CVS.

As a librarian and college instructor, I put 10x more effort into making sure students have the information they need than my pharmacy ever has toward making sure I or my daughter have the medications that are essential to getting out of bed!

My husband did go back to my local pharmacy last weekend and asked if they are still out of stock. The pharmacist acted surprised that he was even asking :blink: BUT, when pressed, he did say that he had 10mg in stock still and if I could get my prescription rewritten (I take 5mg), we could cut those in half. So, that's an idea you might want to try also?

Srb, hello again! Just a quick note to let you know that when I tried cutting my Midodrine in half before (I was taking 7.5 before so I was taking one 5 mg. and trying to cut another one in half), the pill kind of fell apart when I tried to cut it in half. I am on 10 mg. now so I don't need to do that anymore. I could usually keep one half together and the other half turned into tiny pieces. I know you need it badly so it can be done but I just thought I would share that so you are not suprised if it happens to you also. My pill cutter is fairly small so it may have been easier with a larger one? Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

It's happened to me now. I got my partial yesterday, told to come back today for the rest... Went back to pick that and my Florinef up, and got told it is back ordered until middle of April. I luckily have some extra from when I was sick and didn't take it so I could lay down and rest, but Yep... Getting harder to find. They are going to try and get another manufacturer that I can swallow, since the other is out of the question due to swallow and efficacy.