Aggressively Going After Root Cause Of Pots

Thank goodness for my integrative medicine doctor. For several months he has been treating and helping me manage my symptpms (b12 shots, licorice, various vitamins for deficiency) but when I saw him a few weeks ago, he said he wanted to go after what might be the primary cause of the POTS, since dysautonomia is a secondary condition. My bloodwork showed antibodies from strep-throat, pneumonia and other viruses I had years and years ago. He also mentioned that the inflammation caused by any of these could be enough to cause the disruption in the system to cause dysautonomia.

He mentioned off-handedly that something as simply as a candida (yeast) overgrowth, particularly in the gut, could be enough to cause that inflammation. I then piped up and said...well, I've dealt with ringworm and other yeast issues for years, to which he responded that this was very compelling information, and in addition to wanting to put me on an anti-viral and antibiotics to knock out whatever might be causing my POTS (if it is in fact viral-induced as opposed to genetic). So my doctor wants me to start the anti-fungal and work up to full dose, then add anti-viral, then explore antibiotics.

In keeping with this plan, I started taking Nystatin (an anti-fungal) two weeks ago and I have noticed a MARKED difference in how I feel. I've been feeling a great deal better day-to-day. Instead of peeling myself out of bed a 3 pm still feeling like I haven't slept in days, my body is waking my up earlier and earlier, and I've been feeling much more like my old self during the day.

I'm frankly really shocked that something so simple could make such a big difference. Also, it kind of blows my mind how two things you never thought were connected (yeast issues and POTS) could be related to one another. My neurologist is wonderful but her advice beyond taking metoprolol and staying hydrated and exercising is limitted; she likely would never have taken this course of action to aggressively target a viral/infectious/fungal cause that might really make a difference in treating my POTS and how I'm feeling.

Just wanted to share my update, and definitely give a RESOUNDING endorsement for integrative medicine and doctors who want to look at the big picture.

I'm happy you're seeing benefit with this new treatment course and thank you for taking the time to do a write up for us. Keep us updated. I will be really interested to her which antivirals you are given and how they effect you.

Sounds like a good plan.