Visual Issues - Hard To Explain

Tobiano

I’m wondering if anyone experiences this…I have a variety of visual symptoms that come and go including blurry vision. I also have times when my vision is not really blurry but is still affected in a way that is hard to describe. It’s like I only focus on one thing/a certain part of the environment at a time and don’t notice other things as much until I move my head, remind myself to look around, or bump into something. It’s not quite tunnel vision because I might be focusing on something in the periphery while not noticing something more centrally. I notice this more in busy environments like malls. Can anyone relate or describe this better?!

I think just recently there was a post on this. I have visual problems too. I have floaters, which have gotten worse in the last few months. I recently needed reading glasses since I can't see close up. Dr. said it was my age (43). I often have vision problems that are hard to explain. Wish I knew more or could get some dr. to understand. Sometimes I feel as though my eyes aren't working with my brain, don't know if that makes any sense. Hope you find some solutions.

Yes! I have the same thing. It is really apparent when I look at certain patterns, or like you said the mall. Someone described it as looking into 3 d glasses.

I went to an Opthamologist and she could tell what my problem was by the exam. She said it is the brain that gives you your vision and how you process it. She said that my eyes are not tracking well.

I am going to try vision therapy and see if it helps.

Yep - dysautonomia causes all sorts of visual distortions - I have trouble at times with depth perception - when I am walking along, sometimes it looks like my next step is a long way down - very strange visual field. My eyes get blurred at odd times - kind of like looking through a thick fog - I also have something like ocular migraines where suddenly, I have a ring of flashing lights in one eye that looks like a halo of fire. It is so bright, I cannot see out of that eye at all. This can last for a couple of minutes, or a couple of hours. Never a dull moment!

Yes I understand what you are describing!! I also get the "staring" thing too. For me that happens when I'm not feeling well and I can't process everything that's going on around me. My brain would just rather focus on one thing than look around and process it all. I especially get this disoriented feeling when I overheat.

I am missing some vision in my left eye now. My own eye issues started about 3-4 years ago , but I don't know what changed for all of this to start. None of it has cleared up and it seems to be only getting worse. Blah!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I agree that it is a processing issue. It almost reminds me of visual neglect however I am ‘aware’ or at least ‘semi-aware’ that it is happening (e.g. most times I know to move my eyes around to capture more of my environment, although this takes quite a bit of effort).

Interested to hear about the vision therapy. Hope you see an improvement.

Dana – I can so relate to the experience of my brain not being able to cope with everything at once (and so selectively focusing on one thing). Sorry to hear about your left eye - blah indeed.

What you describe fits me exactly to a T - and it does seem to be strongly linked with my spaciness, especially the visual issues with attention; it makes it very hard for me to navigate in crowded places like busy sidewalks, malls, airports, etc - I get really confused and overwhelmed because I can't navigate. In those situations it's often easiest for me to just take hold of the person I'm with (if that's feasible - e.g. my partner or housemate, not so much my labmate!). None of my treatments have made it better (meds or things like stockings), though the clonidine has made the blurriness worse. I get (and got before clonidine, but they were shorter) blurry episodes around 10 seconds to 2 minutes that resolve spontaneously or can be forced back into clarity, but it's uncomfortable to do so. Occasional depth perception loss too, which is annoying and means I have to be extra-careful to not trip on sidewalk cracks or step off the curb.

I have problems with my eyes and have a hard time explaining it. I feel like I can't focus on things very well and I also have trouble going from one thing to the other. Like if I'm looking at the TV and then move to something else it takes me a while to focus on it. I recently went to the eye doctor, partly because I haven't been in forever and because of the issues I have been having( and I noticed a big difference in how well I see out of my right and left eyes). I thought for sure I would need glasses. I acutally don't! My vision in my right eye was only 20/30 and I showed no need for prescription what so ever in my left eye I was really surprised!. He did, however, schedule me to come back to have a field test/study (not sure what that is) because even though my vision in my right eye wasn't that bad, it didn't show improvement with correction. I go back Wednesday for that. He said that if I had something neurological going on that this test should show it.

Hi, visual problems seem to have always been part of it for me too. I think the blurriness can be explained by the pupillary dysfunction. The other visual disturbances no one has been able to explain to me. The neuro-opthalmologist I saw said that my eyes are physically perfect and the permanent flicker (in the centre of my right eye's visual field) must be sent from the brain. My optometrist said that my right and left eyes are long and short sighted respectively, so in my case that explains the depth of field problems. It's a challenge getting a prescription though! I go for eye exams on three consecutive days and she takes the 'line of best fit' for the prescription. Just another weirdness....