How Many Of You Worked In The Medical Field Before Pots??

brethor9

Hey guys!!

Over the last couple days I have been reading through a lot of the posts and have noticed a surprising number of us have spent some time working in the medical field...ie; nursing, clerical, etc. I am really curious as to how many of us were working in that environment before the onset of POTS. I don't think that it is directly related (ie virus contamination) but it has me wondering. I am assuming it is just because its a high stress setting..emotionally and physically and because of that, people are more vulnerable to getting this disorder... would love to hear any replies

Thanks

Bren :)

I'm definitely not in the medical field. Have probably had pots since I was a teenager (about 15 years ago) and have not been in any medical related field since then. I went to university for teaching and then worked as a teacher for a couple of years before staying home with the kids.

Was Once upon a time a long, time ago... there was this young woman named, Bellamia who worked in the medical field ~ Just spent last night in their ER, how S T R A N G E after all these years. I saw sitting there sitting out Pots 101 ~ They never heard of it, as my midline was infected ~

MomtoG-

I work in Angio in pediatrics. I've been in medicine for 19yrs. Was diagnosed in January but have gradually been getting symptoms, starting with syncope during my sons football games (excitement) 5 yrs ago. I was diagnosed in the Adult hospital in our complex. My sister knows someone who worked at that adult hospital who's now on disability with dysautonomia and pots. He told her they've had 5 recent diagnoses of POTS/dys throughout the complex. HMMMMMM. Could it be some sort of chemical?

Jennifer

small fiber neuropathy/POTS

I worked as a candystriper at a hospital for a couple of years, and I was an in-home caregiver for a year for lady with MS. My medical training was very little, though, and all of those jobs were post POTS/dysautonomia diagnosis. I really enjoyed working with patients. If I ever get better, I would love to go work in a hospital again.

I am a registered nurse for over 35+ years. I still practice in hospice and home care-more administration/desk job. I am currently working.

I was diagnosed in December 2010 with Dysautonomia. I really believe my symptoms started after I had Gall Bladder Surgery in 2005. I had a really bad bout with flu in Feb-March 2010 that began my down hill spiral which lead to me passing out at work November 29th and being carted off to a Cleveland hospital. Cleveland Clinic diagnosed me. I was off of work for about 21/2months and didn't know if I would ever get back to work. I was preparing for disability.

I can honestly say with the help of God (Jesus Christ)-a lot of prayer and love from family, friends and colleagues, my Neurologist-Dr. Shields at Cleveland Clinic getting me on Midodrine, Mestinon and a proper treatment regimen, a good dietician-Beth @ Cleveland Clinic finding me the right diet-foods and fluids and this blessed and great forum (I love you all DINET family), I was able to return work and continue to work. The summer with the heat was a little rough on me. I also needed to have my Midodrine upped, but I continue to have some quality of life with work and doing little things in & out of the house.:)

I don't know if this counts because I was already on disability and off of work prior to my dx with dysautonomia. However,I have been a nurse for 22 years and the last fifteen I worked was in hospice, which I absolutely loved, but all of that was post dysautonomia. If there was anything I could do again it would be to go back into hospice nursing, I really miss the contact with patients and families. I don't know if this means anything but all of the nurses I worked with in hospice were all on antidepressants, we used to joke with each other if we had remembered to take our little blue happpy pill for the day, but I think most of us suffered from depression due to the years in hospice, which can take a toll on any person. Many of us should have left the field for awhile because we were bordering on burnout with death, but we all loved our work so much that we stayed and fought the burnout with Zoloft and jokes.

God Bless :rolleyes:

Nurse here! I work in Academia now so I have lots of time off...3 months in summer, 1 month for Christmas, and all the breaks that are given in college. I am so lucky to be able to work still but don't think I'd be able to if I worked a "normal" nursing job. Nor would I be able to work if I had Hypo? POTS versus Hyper POTS.

You should put a poll up!

Hello :) I was a CNA for about three years and then worked in the lab as a phlebotomist for three and a half. But I didn't actually develop POTS until a year after I left. Although my doctor really isn't sure what happened to set this off, its probably unrelated to working in the hospital so long before it happened. It is very interesting though! Maybe that just goes to show how much popularity of jobs in the medical field is growing!

My children have POTS and have since birth; I guess I was the same, I recall black and white outs when I was 4/5 years old. I have not been in any medical profession but food for thought is: my husbands father had what was described by the in laws as a Parkinson's type illness that was not actually Parkinson's but called something else family from Hong Kong so medical names get lost in translation, I think he had PAF. My husband and most of his siblings have low BP's odd HR rhythms and many odd mild neurological stuff going on. The main thing that myself and my husband and his family have in common is that we all did/do job's that involve a lot of standing. Standing being on your feet a lot of the time is what most in the medical world have in common may be that is the clue here!!!!!

I was studying pharmacy in college with a 4.0 gpa and 6mths from getting my degree and was going to be starting pharmacy school a year later, then i crashed in oct of 2009 and havent recovered since... just good days mixed in with the bad..... worked at CVS pharmacy for about 4 years while schooling, as a pharmacy technician (was a part time tow truck operator too, kinda sorta still am on my good days). However, i've had this disease for a good 9 years now.... just didnt know what it was till sept of 2010 when i went to vanderbilt. I loved what i did.... i miss it.

tennille