Nicotine?

Ashelton80

Hey guys, so the first time I ever noticed my POTS symptoms was about 8 years ago when I was a senior in college. The only thing I can think of that changed at that time was I smoked cigarettes all through the first 3 years (BAD I know), but tried to quit my senior year. It seems soon after or while I was trying to quit is when I noticed the anxiety, pounding heart, etc. They were very mild compared to now, but after seeing a couple of posts on here about people chewing nicotine gum it has me thinking. So what is it about nicotine that might make my POTS better? Should I try the gum?

Also, I am seeing a pattern start to form with the severity of my symptoms. It seems as long as I leave myself alone meaning not trying any new drugs, supplements, herbs, etc. My body seems to regulate itself a bit. For example, I had an acupressure massage on Wednesday and could hardly stand up on Thursday (yesterday). I was VERY weak, tachy, etc. Then last night I had a major anxiety attack or "surge" as I like to call them. I am so upset since less than two weeks ago I was up and atem everyday and running a few errands and now I'm back in bed trying to recover from this setback. Should I just quit trying and leave my body alone?

Thanks for your input,

Ashley

The nicotine can act as a vasoconstrictor and vasodilator. It can act as a stimulant and relaxant. It really depends on the delivery. I have found very interesting research on nicotine. I'll try to find some of the other articles I have looked at and post them. Here are a few articles. http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/drugs-alcohol/nicotine-health-benefits.htm http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/06/nicotine I do use nicotine and it gives me more energy. i have to eat beforehand b/c it does tend to make me a little sick to my stomach.

• 7 months later...

Also, I am seeing a pattern start to form with the severity of my symptoms. It seems as long as I leave myself alone meaning not trying any new drugs, supplements, herbs, etc. My body seems to regulate itself a bit. For example, I had an acupressure massage on Wednesday and could hardly stand up on Thursday (yesterday). I was VERY weak, tachy, etc. Then last night I had a major anxiety attack or "surge" as I like to call them. I am so upset since less than two weeks ago I was up and atem everyday and running a few errands and now I'm back in bed trying to recover from this setback. Should I just quit trying and leave my body alone?

Thanks for your input,

Ashley

Hi Ashley, I just wanted to chime in and say I also see an Accupressurist for my stomach issues (which helps increadibly - more effective than any med incidentally), however, he sometimes lowers my heart rate too much and I feel quite dizzy afterwards, probably because he's also lowered my blood pressure. Lowering the HR when I first got sick was great and made me feel so much better as I had bad sinus tachycardia the whole time, but now my tachy isn't so bad it's sometimes really problematic.

I also saw a physio last year who was really helping me until he did something to my back. I had been having a few fantastic weeks up until that point and then bang, I went back to being very tachy. Took me weeks to recover.

I haven't given up on all the alternative treatments yet as they all seem to help, but at the same time I, like you, get a bit down hearted when they cause flare ups. I wouldn't give up just yet on accupressure unless it continues to trouble you week afer week and you are feeling no benefit.