Who Has Diabetes Insipidus Out There?

anna

One of my children has been quite poorly over the last 2 months, gastric ulcers, weight loss, problems with frequent urination, it has played havoc with his BP and HR. Anyway he has to go into hospital for a water deprivation test as Dr's think he may have Diabetes Insipidus. Do any of you have this condition if so how do you sort out your fluid levels with this condition??

Anna

Anna,

Several of us on the board have either symptoms of and or confirmed diagnosis of Diabetes Insipidus. We use DDAVP or Desmopressin (which is the anti-diuretic hormone people with DI don't produce).

Do you know how to use the search function? I would suggest you do a search for Diabetes Insipidus on the forum and see if you find the information that you are looking for...and then come back with follow-up questions that you didn't find answers.

I wasn't quite sure from your post what information you would find most helpful, but doing a search is a starting point.

Hope this helps,

Emily

Thanks Emily, I looked back on the old posts, very informative. I am not sure what info I want really, the whole thing is just a bit confusing, the Dr's do not know if my sons problems are ANS, EDS linked or something else! his plasma osmalarity was higher than expected as was his sodium, hence Dr's now thinking DI but yet to rule out a hereditory form of Diabetes! I will keep looking up stuff. My main worry at presant is that my sons BP and HR will be all over the place during the water depravation test, as he dehydrats so easily.

Anna

Anna,

The water deprivation test is one, but not the only, tool to diagnose DI. I underwent that test (I was hospitalized and was quite ill during the test). The nephrologist diagnosed DI on the basis of that test.

However, I was referred to an endocrinologist at Georgetown University. He did additional testing and said I didn't have it. DI is pretty rare.

A number of POTS people do have frequent urination, particularly during the night, and use DDAVP. But, that seems to be part of the POTS complex.

Lois

Hi Lois,

I wandered if their were other test for DI, at the moment my sons blood plasma show signs of DI, hence the water deprivation test, but I would like to know what other test are done for this. My son has since being a baby had bladder issues but over the last few months he has been going to the toilet 4 to 5 times an hour after filling in a chart for 3 days it was noticed that he seems to be putting more out than he takes in! to add to this just got call from DR. to say they found protein in sample so sending it off to lab.