My Surgery Has Been Scheduled

We went to see the urologist Tuesday, and he advised that I do the alcohol embilization (sp?).. instead of surgically removing the kidney. So I will go in Tuesday at 9am. I am supposed to be in for 3 days or so, with an epidural block, due to the pain. I am so nervous about this! I am such a whimp when it comes to pain and i'm still recovering from the last surgery they did a week ago... I'm just hoping they can fix the problem and I can maybe get back to a normal life...

Hey Kansasgirl,

I had a large fibroid tumor embolized. Like you, I was warned of extreme pain because the tumors are supposedly muscular and when they die (from the cut-off blood supply) it supposedly really hurts...like a heart attack. I didn't have an epidural, but my doctor managed my pain really well via meds from two different IV's. Like you, I was petrified. In retrospect, it was nothing. I wouldn't be nervous at all if I had to do it again.

I know a kidney tumor embolization will be different than a uterine fibroid embolization, but I suspect it'll be fine, especially with an epidural. Have you had one before? I did when I gave birth to my son. It wasn't too bad. Holding still during contractions was the worst part & you won't have to deal with that :-)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs-

Julie

Hey Kansasgirl,

I had a large fibroid tumor embolized. Like you, I was warned of extreme pain because the tumors are supposedly muscular and when they die (from the cut-off blood supply) it supposedly really hurts...like a heart attack. I didn't have an epidural, but my doctor managed my pain really well via meds from two different IV's. Like you, I was petrified. In retrospect, it was nothing. I wouldn't be nervous at all if I had to do it again.

I know a kidney tumor embolization will be different than a uterine fibroid embolization, but I suspect it'll be fine, especially with an epidural. Have you had one before? I did when I gave birth to my son. It wasn't too bad. Holding still during contractions was the worst part & you won't have to deal with that :-)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs-

Julie

Well It's not a tumor, but an aneurysm. The size and location is actually pretty uncommon (it's inside the kidney) but I hear the alcohol embolization is common. Thanks for the advice. The surgery is actually going to be tomorrow. they've changed it so many times.. ;) ugh...