Frequent Uti's

P SUDIK

After reoccurring uti's (every couple of months for about 2 yrs.) and a cystoscopy,my Dr. started me on a low dose of antibiotics for 3 months.I just started them today,and was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what were your results? Thanks Pat

I'm on prophylactic abx for recurrent UTIs, and I've actually had great success with them. I've only had the very vague beginnings of a few UTIs since I started them about a year ago, which is awesome considering that prior to that I was getting them like every two weeks, basically every time we stopped the abx. I hope they work as well for you as they have for me!

Hi Pat,

Years ago (almost 20) I had the same thing happen for a period of about 5 years. It was awful. I remember not being able to relax in my own body as I constantly had the feeling I had to go (urgency), but nothing happened when I tried. I was on daily antibiotic therapy which was helpful to a point. I was on sulfa drugs for a while until I developed an allergy, then somthing else. After the first few UTI's, my specimens came back clean, without bacteria despite severe symtoms. A cystoscopy revealed that my bladder was horribly red and inflamed. In retrospect, it was probably interstitial cystitis....the term hadn't even been coined at that time. With the help of the antibiotics and time, I grew out of it. I still have vague symtoms, but nothing severe.

I hate that you're dealing with this. I hope you're better quick!

Julie

Have you tried Cranberry Juice or Cranberry Tablets. Studies have shown that cranberry juice prevents bacteria from adhering to the lining of the bladder. (I can provide the info if you want, can't find it now) My grandma always got UTIs and found that drinking a couple liters of cranberry juice when she first felt the symptoms really helped her and made it so she didn't get a UTI.

I'm personally leery about low dose antibiotics, as I believe they breed stronger infections and don't help in biofilm mediated infections (which have been indicated in the case of recurrent UTIs)

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

Sara

Yes, I had about ~25 UTI's within a period of 2-3 years before doctors found out what was going on with me. Mine was caused by sex. Not every time, but every other time or so I had sex with my hubby, I would come down with a UTI.

They put me on Macrobid - I had to take before or right after sex. Fun.

TMI...bacteria was getting trapped behind a semi-broken hymen. Anyway, they found the cause when I was 6 months pregnant with my first child. They wanted to do surgery...but said I could also wait and see if the baby ripped the rest of the hymen away. The baby cured me :)

I only get occassional UTI's if I don't pee after sex.

More than you wanted to know, right?

I was on preventive macrobid for several months, several years back. I developed peripheral neuropathy from the drug, which resolved after I quit within several weeks. I drink cranberry juice. I've also found that avoiding caffeine and carbonated beverages helps a lot-- in addition to staying superhydrated,

Drinking lots of water (to "flush out" the urinary system) and drinking Cranberry juice (changes the pH of the urine) can both help to prevent urine infections. Also making sure that you empty your bladder properly when you pee so that there isn't old urine hanging about in there can help (go to the toilet regularly (about every 3-4 hours, even if you don't feel the urge to pee) sit down rather than squatting and relax properly to help empty the bladder). Some people with dysautonomia or neuropathies can develop a neuropathic bladder which won't contract properly so there is always od urine left in the bladder. That would show up on an ultrasound scan performed right after emptying your bladder. In those cases regular self-catheterisation to fully empty the bladder can reduce the frequesncy of UTIs, although cathing has its own UTI risk!

Not peeing after sexual intercourse is probably the most common reason for UTIs in healthy women. Make it a habit to always go to the loo after sex and have a shower or wash the area too.

Flop

I feel like I get uti's ALL THE TIME. A big reason is probably sex...but since so many people seem to have this problem, does anyone know if this is a common POTS symptom (the likelihood of getting a uti)? Just curious. I drink a ton of fluids and take cranberry tablets every day (since I'm so prone), but I still get them fairly often.

Meg