Sick And Alone

I will first start off by saying that I haven't felt good for a few months, since around November I think. I know I was sick off and on throughout Dec and Jan but just shrugged it off as the usual winter ailments. Well, about 3 weeks ago I started having problems eating, or not eating for that matter. I finally went to the hospital 2 weeks ago today because I was so nauseous that even tv food commercials were making me sick. But anyway, the point i'm trying to get to is that I was at the hospital for a routine Women's Clinic appointment where they told me I have Pneumonia. My first reaction was shock since the ER sent me home and said I was fine, my second reaction was "how am I supposed to deal with pneumonia and all other ailments when I live alone"? Besides staying in bed and getting lots of rest, is there anything else that I should be doing.....any moms out there that can tell me how they would take care of their child with POTS and now pneumonia would be a lot of help. Docs give medicine, People give advice.

Hi

Ugh! I know how you feel. I had pneumonia this fall and it does bring out the worst in pots. The good news is it is treatable. I ended up needing an inhaler for awhile but I did bounce back and you will too! Take your medicine and rest. Do you have a friend who could run to the store and stock your shelves with soup and juice and other comfort foods? Chicken soup will give you the salt you need and should go down pretty well. Do you have someone who could stay with you for a few days? I am sending you healing wishes!

Hi

Ugh! I know how you feel. I had pneumonia this fall and it does bring out the worst in pots. The good news is it is treatable. I ended up needing an inhaler for awhile but I did bounce back and you will too! Take your medicine and rest. Do you have a friend who could run to the store and stock your shelves with soup and juice and other comfort foods? Chicken soup will give you the salt you need and should go down pretty well. Do you have someone who could stay with you for a few days? I am sending you healing wishes!

I do have a friend that could help out a little, but not much. I just moved, literally, last week and this place is beyond bare. No one can stay with me but while my friend is in town (she lives 45 minutes away) I know she will help out as much as she can. Thanks for the good wishes and keep your fingers crossed that the Phenergan will help me get some appetite back.

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been so tired lately, plus have pneumonia on top of that. That's tough! That's especially tough after just having moved to a new town.

I have a two year old son, so I understand the struggle of needing to care for a child when you have great difficulty caring for yourself. We actually live with my parents, and my husband only works part time, so that I have the help I need. But even with the help, I try to do as much as I can by myself when I'm able. Here are some things that work for me.

William and I do simple, easy activities together like reading books, watching a movie, coloring, playing with cars, beanie babies, play dough, and legos. He also likes to sit and look at photo albums with me. We talk about the people we see in the pictures. When I play with William I am almost always lying down on the floor, in bed, or on the sofa. This extends the amount of time I'm able to play. When we read I sometimes sit up, but I always have my feet propped up, too, to increase my circulation.

When I have to get breakfast or lunch out I do something simple like leftovers, cereal, instant oatmeal, yogurt, and applesauce. On a good day I'll do microwave mac and cheese or put a corn dog in the toaster oven. Not the healthiest food, but it is better than no food at all!

Some other small helps are:

- Taking Gatorade and meds when I wake up, before getting out of bed.

- Rotating William's toys so that there is something "new" to pull out if he gets bored with the "old" toys.

- When I'm alone for the day, resting before it becomes absolutely necessary to rest. That way I don't completely burn out before help can arrive.

You can also contact your local Independent Living Center. They may be able to offer some help or lead you to other resources in your area.

I don't know exactly what your state of health is, or how old your children are, so I don't know if this stuff helps or not.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Rachel

I want to thank everyone for your great advice and support. I am feeling much better now even if i'm not 100% yet. A lot of good things have been happening here lately and it has taken long enough. I finally got my neuro consult at the VA and I have my first appt on Wednesday, with a few more different types of appts over the next month or so. I am going to be able to go home next week now that i'm no longer running a fever and it is perfect timing as well because it is spring break for me. And now that I feel better I am going home to help my mother with my grandmother, who will be 93 on Saturday, and now that I am better I finally get to go home and spend some time with her, and we are even having a party. But anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who replied, I appreciate every single person, and it helps me to be more at ease knowing that there is a place where I can turn when I have problems that my friends and family don't understand because they aren't familiar with what is wrong, so thanks again for your care and support, I don't know what I would do without all of you. <_<