Not Recognizing Pain

i am having an issue. not anything bad, just wanted to check to see if i was the lone duck.

i am not feeling pain as much anymore. mainly, restricted to my arms.

let me explain. i have burnt myself twice now from the oven. i sense the initial contact and continue on with my business. it isn't till like maybe an hour or so later that i actually "feel" pain from the burn and realize that i have one.

not sure i am making this clear. i thought the 1st time it was just me forgetting, but now i know that is not the case.

I have a generally high threshold for pain, which has been the case for my entire life. This becomes exceptionally problematic at times when I've been quite ill, but didn't feel like I had enough pain to warrant a doctor visit or ER trip. Twice I've had pneumonia but continued to go to work, even though a bit short of breath and a bit feverish. Same goes for my gallbladder--I had attacks at least once a week or more over a period of 6 years. When I was in a car accident at age 10, I ruptured a disc at c5-6. Because I didn't report having pain, I went untreated--it wasn't until my late 30's that I started having more than just pain (difficulty swallowing, aspriting, loss of control of limbs at times), that I went for help.

Additionally, my body is slow to react to allergens, but once I start to react, it's usually dramatic. Lastly, I hardly EVER get a fever, even when I've been hospitalized with double pneumonia, bronchitis and sinus infection all at one time.

I just chalk it up to my messed up autonomic systems.

I think I've had 2 fevers in my entire life (knock on wood). I have broken all but one toe, had fractured ribs, and vertebrae, broken fingers, and a fractured ankle. I had shoulder surgery in 2001 and took one pain pill. I've also had 2 concussions.

I just don't seem to feel pain like other people do. If I get a pain bad enough for the ER, then it's BAD. My friend didn't believe I had fractured my big toe, she said she broke her toe and couldn't walk right for months, but when we got the x ray, I actually had displaced bone. She believes me now. I know I am getting some neuropathy and that affects it too.

I went to an ortho guy and told him my back hurt a little. I said i had a high tolerance for pain, and he said I was a big wuss! His words. Then he looked at my x ray and I have spurs and impingement on every single vertebra in my spine. He apologized. morgan

so i am guessing that it is a dys thing to not recognize the pain. or have a delayed reaction.?

this is new to me. i gave birth to 2 kids naturally and always thought i had a high threshold to pain too. then dys t-bones me and i feel like a big wuss now.

thanks for validation.

I'm wondering if you could have a nerve root problem somewhere to have a delayed reaction like that. I know I have myelopathy from long standing cervical spine compression, but I can still feel a burn. However, if my husband pinched my back, I can barely feel it.

When I had my cervical spine surgery in 2002 I refused the morphine pump. I only took extra strength tylenol once when my neck felt really stiff. I have never taken pain narcotics other then one time when my tail bone was broken from having my son. I couldn't walk, sit, stand---nothing......... :o They gave me percodan, and I only took it for three days until my tail bone healed a bit more. Narcodic pain meds make me really sick. I haven't taken any pain meds since I was 22-----when they gave me the percodan--------------and I was pretty sick on it, and very mean.---------------- :o:o:huh::blink::huh:

Maxine :0)