Do You Cross Your Legs?

mattsmum

I was at work yesterday and the boss caught me with me sitting on my leg lol. I tried to explain to her its kind of an automatic reaction thing I do without realising it. All she could tell me was I will increase my chance of blood clots this way. Does that apply to us do you think? Do you think midodrine helps at all with that situation? I love to cross my legs or sit on my legs I can't help it , it brings such relief. How about you?

I'm guilty too. I never realized it though until my disability attorney pointed it out to me. He said, "You appear mentally calm but you rarely sit still, is this because of your condition?" I had to think for a minute but I'm always crossing my legs and re-crossing or shaking one of them (i guess to keep my blood going up instead of pooling?) and when I'm at home I either sit on one or have one or both propped up.

I don't know anything about the blood clot factor or Midodrine. I don't stay in the same position for too long so I'm not worried about blood clots.

With my unstable joints--esp hips, pelvis, I really can't sit like that without a lot of pain. Sometimes I cross my ankles, but even that messes with my hips. But I'm always tapping my foot or bouncing my thighs--- I guess also an attempt to keep blood from pooling. I look like a fidgety kid and it annoys my spouse!

Guest tearose

What?

Mayo taught me how to cross my legs to use as a quick counter maneuver when the blood is pooling in legs.

Just try it, when you are standing and then cross your legs your heart rate will come down.

I use this sometimes when I have walked to get someplace, then sit down and my heart is still doing 130 while I am sitting. While sitting in a waiting room you can cross your legs and get your heart rate down.

Hi, I always stand with my legs crossed and when I have to sit in a chair for any length of time, I have my legs crossed and feet in the chair with me. That's the only way I can think, and then sometimes I still don't think very well. But it helps my sx. Donna

I often sit tailor-style with my feet tucked up on the chair seat with me - I find that the blood flow gets to my brain better this way rather than blood pooling in my feet if I let them dangle down from a chair. When I saw Prof Grahame recently he said that from across the room I looked like a hypermobile person because of the way I was sat folded up on the bed. Doctors have also commented that my constant fidgeting is a subconscious self-help mechanism for dealing with POTS - it does help the blood return from the legs to the heart.

Sitting with one thigh crossed over the other is generally a bad idea as the veins in the legs get compressed and blood stagnates in the lower legs. This increases the risk of DVT (blood clots in the leg veins). I don't think that dysautonomics are at a higher risk of DVT than the average person but I stand to be corrected. Being a fidgeter probably helps reduce the chance of DVT as moving increased venous blood flow.

Happy fidgeting!

Flop

:) I never thought about that before but I usually sit with my legs either crossed or I am sitting on one. I also sometimes stand with my legs crossed. ;)

My son helped me with the smiley faces!

JJH

I cross my legs or sit on them all the time. I also prefer to sit on the floor cross legged (indian style) rather than in a chair, its easier and more comfortable for me. But I do cross my legs and sick on them when in a chair, I also cross them when standing. I too am very fidgety! haha. I do wonder if its bad for us to cross our legs, clot wise, but my doctor did tell me its good for helping the blood sometimes.

Mary

I cross my legs sitting OR standing ALL the time but try not to ever stand still for long.

Way back 10 years ago when I discovered this illness, on the OLD NDRF site (good info about this has disappeared with their 'upgrade') there were all sorts of tips about this and eating salty, junk food as well (hot dogs, pretzels and stuff and drink Gatorade)

So I have ALWAYS practiced this and fidgeted.

I just guessed EVERYBODY knew to do this but this thread makes it sound questionable or new? But like TeaRose Mayo and other knowing docs will tell you to cross legs and also raise up on toes when standing. My cardiologist that REVIEWED my TTT years ago gave me the toe raising tip that I often use.

Also squatting helps...I often squat in line at the grocery to tie my shoe or to "PRETEND" to be fascinated with all the junk magazines (lousy women's mags or tabloid rags) just to get my knees close to my chest.

I do these maneuvers without even THINKING about it.

i would not listen to ANYTHING a person with a normal healthy autonomic system says.

We know our own bodies better and they don't faint or walk around like some of us, constantly pre=syncopal.

Just do whatever helps you.

The more I eat small meals and even junk food (canned chicken noodle soup, pretzels, dark chocolate) the better I feel. Course my appetite is not great and junk food helps keep weight on. THIS after being fat or up and down most of my life...so you do what you have to do to keep going with this stuff!!

And to think years ago I thought "being thin would make life perfect" HA, jokes on me but I digress. <_<

My legs are crossed almost constantly -- even when I'm lying down! They're also always moving/fidgeting, and I change their position every few minutes, mainly because my symptoms get considerably worse when I don't. My husband says I even do this when I'm sleeping, and when I don't I sometimes even breathe too shallowly. I talked to my doctor about this, and he said the two are definitely connected because of how much the movement or lack thereof affects your circulation. I didn't know it could cause blood clots, but I have a Von Willebrand factor deficiency, so I'm not too worried lol. <_<