Idea

HI everyone,

I have an idea and I will need help figuring out if we can do this and how but here it goes. We watch the Tour De France and we love Lance Armstrong. Now his foundation for cancer is selling these yellow bracelets that say LIVESTRONG. It was his motto during his fight with cancer and especially when he survived. I ordered some and to be honest every time I look at it is gives me a lift. So I though what if we as a dysautonmia community had something like that it might remind us we are not alone and give us I don't know a reason every time we look at it to feel strong. We would have to have our own motto and figure out how to get them made and distribution etc, but I am getting ahead of myself. It is just that this small thing helps me everyday and it is not even for something I have and I would like it if I had something for us. I have looked up patterns for crochet bracelets which I could do and I know there are some other knitters/crafty people. The ones from Lance?s foundation are sponsored by Nike and are rubber. They only cost a dollar a piece and you order them by 10. What do you all think? It could be something we just do for us or we could use it to raise money or I don?t know. But it really gives me a lift and I would like to share this.

Let me know what you think and if anyone is interested in helping me peruse this.

Stacey :-)

Cool idea. I looked up several sites where such bands can be custom made--I think the first step would be to come up with something inspiring to put on the band. The can either be a woven material or a rubber/vinyl material.

Stacey, were you thinking of doing it as a fundraiser for DINET? If that's the case, you should write to Michelle Sawicki.

Nina

Hi guys, Stacey, Michelle, and I are trying to work something out--please give us a bit of time to figure out what the options are and how we might set things up. We'll fill you in when there's more info--right now we're still in the idea stage.

Also, if anyone here has ideas about something inspirational, feel free. I have quotes that I collect, but perhaps someone here has something short and sweet that I could fit on a bracelet.

Here are my personal favorites--most of which are WAY too long for a bracelet.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted --Aesop

If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one-- Zig Ziglar

If you're on the road to nowhere, find another road--Ashanti proverb

You can't have a better tomorrow if you are thinking about yesterday all the time--Kettering

:) Nina

Joke but how about:

But you don't look sick :)

HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE

I am so glad you guys are excited about this. This is great and i think you all will really like having them.

Thanks,

I too wear a Live Strong bracelet in honor of my grandma who is battling cancer. I think that it would be a great idea to create a similar bracelet for those with dysautonomia. Mightymouse/Nina, I love all of those quotes- they are very fitting. One of own favorites is "I get up. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing." (Hillel) It has very real, literal meaning for those with dysautonomias, as well as symbolic meaning.

Athough many of these quotes are great, I think we need something much shorter, like one or two words. I was thinking that a word such as "persevere" could simply but effectively convey the persistent spirit with which we endure each day. I think a word such as this would be a challenge and encouragement to keep going, even when things are hard.

Keep us updated as you try to work things out with this project!

~ Meghan :)

Hey,

What about

Believe, Hope, and Love or Happiness, Hope, and Love

Believe that this will pass, hope that it will and love for love.

Blessings I wish for us all and something I think we need all to remember.

Okay, I was pondering some short words that are important to me...and that I might want to see as a reminder on my arm. The text on a bracelet can be 1 to 6 words, depending on the length.

Whaddya think of this string of words?

courage+perseverance+attitude=possibilities

thoughts?? Other ideas? Nina :)

I like that one.

My sister suggested that if it were possible to put a saying on both sides that one side say something like "endure" for those bad days and the other say something like "thrive" for better days. Maybe not those exact words but I like the concept.

Okay, I was pondering some short words that are important to me...and that I might want to see as a reminder on my arm. The text on a bracelet can be 1 to 6 words, depending on the length.

Whaddya think of this string of words?

courage+perseverance+attitude=possibilities

thoughts?? Other ideas? Nina :huh:

I really like Nina's suggestion. I think it would be short and sweet, yet convey a great deal. How are we going to make the final descision as to what the bands are going to say?

~ Meghan :)

I like geneva's "stand strong" very much--it is a short statement and carries a lot of meaning for us, as standing with no symptoms is a goal most of us have had or still have. I also love Nina's statement.

How about

"Stand Strong: Courage Perseverance Attitude" or some combination like that?

Perhaps we need a poll to help decide on this?

Katherine

Hello everyone--thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. Michelle and I need to talk things over to decide how this will work--along with Stacey too. Once we're a bit farther along in the process, I will post a poll to help us decide what exactly to print up.

Nina :huh:

Stacey, when you get a chance, check your email--I sent you a note about the bracelet topic a little bit ago. Look forward to working on this project with your assistance--and Michelle and I are so very excited about your idea.

nina :huh:

What about using letters that stand for something, such as a few years ago when so many people were wearing the "WWJD" bracelet. It stood for a strong meaning for these people and it also got peoples attention enough to ask questions. If we had something like this that would get other people to ask us questions then maybe we could get more people informed about dysautonomia and at the same time make us stronger. Just a suggestion.

Paige

I like Paiges idea of making bracelets which will make people ask questions. I would love to wear one and inform people in the netherlands about dysautonomia.

By wearing a bracelet you can inform people all over the world. I would give one to my physiotherapist, my doctor and neurologist :) (wonder if they would wear it :huh: ).

Corina

Hey you guys,

This is great! I am so excited about this and that you are too. I know that I will give one to eveyone who knows my fight with this and maybe it will promote more understnading. If not for anything else we will all have something to remind us we are not alone!

Yeah!

Nina I am not sure I got that e-mail can you try again. Thanks

Okay Stacey, I just resent to the hotmail addy you gave me--let me know you've gotten it when you have a moment.

This is all so exciting!!!! :huh: Nina

Hi Guys,

I hope that you are all as excited as we are about starting this as we are. I am not sure of what to have on it though. I am sure it should be short and sweet, when people read your bracelet you dont want to be bending over backwards to let them read it lol. Will try to think of ideas myself.

Shelby

When thinking about colors for the bracelets you may want to consider colors already used for ribbons/symbols. I found an article that states what color different organizations use.

Silver: children with disabilities, captaign for the brain.

Red: AIDS/HIV, substaence abuse, epidermolysis bullosa

Multicolor, Puzzle Piece Design: autism

Gray: Diabetes

Pink: Breast Cancer, Birth Parents

Yellow: Military Support, POW/MIA, Suicide Prevention, Adoptive Parents

Gold: Childhood Cancer

Purple: Abuse and Violence, Religous Tolerance, Animal Abuse, Fallen Police and Fire Fighters, Victims of 911, Pancreatic Cancer, Alzheimer's Disease

Light Blue: Prostate Cancer, Trisomy 12 Sclerodermia

White: Innocence, Victoms of Terrorism, Right to Life, Diabetes

Black: Mourning, Melanoma

Orange: Hunger, Cultural Diversity

Teal: Ovarian Cancer

Green: Enviromental, Organ Donation, Missing Children, Leukemia, Safe Driving

Rainbow: Gay Pride

Clear wtih Gold Trim: Lung Cancer

Ivory Lace: Osteoporosis

Brown: Anti Tobacco

Red White and Blue: Patriotism

Just to help. Hope it does

Shelby

Thanks Shelby.

Personally, I love the brighter colors. They're more visible and likely to get attention (like a neon lime green, or bright orange). They also happen to be colors I wear often.

Just an FYI, when we post our poll, we'll allow people to vote on what they'd prefer.

Nina :)