Dvla

Becca_7706

Hi,

A quick question for those in the UK with syncope attacks. This is going to sound mad but I am a applying for a licence, but not to drive it is in an attempt to get a bus pass (due to the huge amount I pay out for travel these days). I have no intention of driving because I have quite a lot of syncopes. I was wondering two things, one if anyone here has had a licence refused for syncope and two what happens when you have multiple conditions (I have EDS and RSD as well)? I've looked on their website but it is a nightmare and driving me :angry:

Any help would be appreciated,

Becca

You can't get a license if you have any kind of uncontrolled syncope. I explored this last year. I could have a new car through DLA motability scheme as I am on the higher rate for mobility, but I would have to have people drive me about. You have to go either 12 or 18 months without an attack before they will even consider the application.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I don't understand why you would need a DRIVING licence fora BUS pass??? Are you on DLA? YOu might be able to get some travel arrangements sorted through that, if you are on it.

As far as I know being in receipt of DLA does not allow you to get a special bus pass, I think that it is expected that you would use the money from the mobility component of the DLA to pay any increased travel expenses because of a disability. It does allow you in some circumstances to buy a disabled rail card for cheaper train tickets.

The only thing you could do is apply for a driving licence and submit the medical form about blackouts (either the neurology or cardiology one) plus a covering letter explaining anything that you can't fit in the form to the DVLA. However beware that their medical enquiries can take many months to complete.

Flop

Thank-you both for the replies! I didn't quite explain myself properly (no surprise there then!). I need a *rejection* letter for a licence in order to qualify for a free travel pass. My rate of DLA isn't high enough for a travel pass (I don't get high mobility which is the qualifier). The odd thing is I have already qualified for a railcard (which I use quite a bit) but our council are exceptionally strict about bus passes. I did appeal it being turned down before but the dr they sent me to see said I was fully capable of driving (how scarey is that?!) I do already get some taxi vouchers for essential travel (which are great!) but am looking at ways to get my expenditure down - I spend way more than my mobility DLA currently.

I have spoken to Prof and GP about it and both said they would fully support me not driving and to apply (even though I spend more on taxis the saving from a buss pass would be more than worth getting with the prices really hiking up locally for those occaisons I use a bus for).

Does that make any more sense? Sorry for confusion!

Becca

Hi Becca,

I just today put in an application for bus passes for my three kids in our area the councl explain that you can have a letter for consultent or GP. to explain that you are unfit to drive due to medical resons for example uncontroled fainting etc. you might find that is ok in your area as well.

Anna

Hi Becca,

thanks for the extra info - it makes a bit more sense to me now.

I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to phone the DVLA medical telephone line, tell them that you have uncontrolled blackouts and ask them for a letter saying you are ineligible to apply for a licence. If that doesn't work, rather than waiting months for the DVLA to consider your application why don't you ask Prof's secretary to send a letter saying that you have uncontrolled blackouts and are therefore ineligible to drive.

Good luck with the bus pass hunt - every little helps.

Also have you tried seeing if there is a "dial a ride" scheme in your area - they offer a minibus service (door to door) for disabled people and are cheaper than standard taxis.

Flop

Hi,

I have spoken to DVLA. They suggested the same things you have to avoid the forms etc (not too sure if you want to take that as a compliment or not though :P - it is meant as one honest!) But the council have said they will *only* accept a refusal letter from the DVLA as proof :) which of course also means finding money to pay for the application as well. Still at least DVLA were as hacked off as I am - it just adds more work for them. The person I spoke to said it was highly likely to be refused and shouldn't take too long to be refused as it is 'fairly common sense that I shouldn't drive'.

Hadn't thought of Dial a Ride. Thanks for that!

Becca