Pots And Health Insurance

I have not been online in ages because i've been so exhausted from finishing up a Medical Transcription class I have been working on forever, and actually starting to work. I quit my job at a local hospital as a unit secretary in October of 2006 because it was so stressful, I was sick more then I was well. I tried through State Farm, my automobile insurance provider, to get medical insurance and was denied because they said POTS is a pre-existing medical condition. I tried through another online provider and got the same response. I have been without insurance since that time and received a phone call from an insurance underwriter one day stating that they can cover me, no problem and she set up an appointment with me. She never showed up and I never heard from her again! I had talked to so many people about insurance, that I couldn't be sure who she was to call her back. I REALLY need insurance and was curious if anyone with POTS was insured directly through an insurance company. Without experience, the only job I could get was as an independant contractor and so I have no benefits. Any information anyone can offer would be appreciated!

I live in Ohio. I was told by State Farm that I could get coverage at a higher rate, but it would not cover anything in any way related to POTS. I NEVER go to the doctor unless it is somehow POTS related. I applied for Medicaid, social security and disability in October of 2006. They denied me because they said that POTS is not a debilitating illness and that I can just go get a job and get benefits. HA! Tell that to the hospital that I was formerly employed at whom threatened to fire me all the time because I was so sick so often. Anyway, I am working from home doing medical transcription and so far so good. I will pursue disability in the future as a last resort. I just want some health insurance! I had COBRA for awhile after I stopped working, but it was $500 a month, and I did not have anyone to help me pay for it so it lapsed.

We live in Ohio also and like Nina said, they cannot exclude for pre-existing conditions. I THINK there's a loophole to that IF you've had a lapse in insurance (I don't know what amount of time). So, if you haven't been insured for awhile, that might be where the problem is? Although not my favorite insurance, I wonder if you could get Kaiser, it would be better than nothing.

Patti

The best way to get insurance is through an organization such as an employer or school. If that isn't an option, I would call an insurance broker that deals with several companies. Ehealthinsurance.com is pretty helpful and knowledgeable about the different state laws. Your state insurance dept is also a good source of info and/or referrals.

• 11 months later...