It Is Good To Be Back

wibbleway

Hello Everyone,

I've been out of commission for several months. It is good to be back. My Dysautonomia is know being categorized as Pure Autonomic Failure or Chronic. I'm trying to stay happy and look at things that I can do instead of thsoe I can't. I know that one thing I do need to do is some toning exercises to keep my muscles and bones strong. I visited Curves the other day and was impressed with their circuit. You are only up for 30 seconds at a time and then on a machine that is easy and doesn't cause stress. Has anyone else out their tried "Curves" and did it do OK for them? Thanks as always for being there for us all!

Cathy

Guest tearose

So good to see you! Glad to have you back.

I hope they can help you keep this from progressing for a looooong time!

Good to hear about curves too. I hadn't thought about that. I think that is a super idea. I too can't do too much but I like the idea of 30 seconds...and that if you aren't able to go there one day it is not a loss. You can go anytime?

I took what I learned from various physical therapists and do leg exercises at home on the floor. I use those long resistance bands too. That is about all I can manage right now but will look to hear more from you as you do this program.

Do you have to sign up for a long trial? Did they give you any problems about your medical condition?

take care,

tearose

Tearose,

I'm going in the morning gor a trail run. I'll let you know all about it then. Maybe someone will join in thar has gone. I need motivation (lots).

:)

I used to belong to Slim & Tone, which is like Curves. You spend 1 min on each machine (which aren't hard to do). Between each machine is the cardio (balls, trampoline, jogging board, step) for 1 min. I loved the work out, and it was working for me. But once the POTS hit me, I can't do it any more. The cardio wipes me out before the first minute is over.

I would love to be able to do it again, but that's not in my forecast right now.

Welcome back, Cathy.

I'm sorry to hear that your dysautonomia is getting worse. I hope that Curves helps you to hang on to some of the strength you have. Good luck with it and let us know how things go.

I've never tried Curves. In college I used to go to the school weight room a few times a week. I think it helped to keep my strength up while I could. I can't do much in the way of exercises anymore, so I just do what I can at home (leg lifts, thera-band exercises, etc).

Rachel

WOW. I could never do the Curves. From day to day, my FATIGUE is just too much and O.I./dizziness, too.

I can ONLy exercise on my terms. Sometimes 3 minutes on the treadmill and 3 pieces of equipment and another 5 minutes on the treadmill...other times can do 1 mile on the treadmill. Sometimes just the treadmill and I am holding onto the sides ands stomping feet on occassion to keep going (pushes blood back upwards a bit)

Other days, can do 5 pieces of equipment and a 1/4 or 1/2 or maybe, even ONE mile (ALWAYS on the flat on the treadmill)

I check HR frequently and work to keep it under 130 but sometimes have to settle for 140. I sit down for breaks, AS NEEDED. I never know from day to day if I can leave the house for a brief outing but a 30 minute CARDIO workout is out of the question at this point. ANY EXERCISE you can start is a good thing but we often need BREAKS to SLOW the heart down. Doing anything CONSTANT is counterproductive do those of us disabled by ans problems and tachycardia.

If my HR is 150 when I step on the treadmill , it's going to be a short 10 minute or so workout then home. Sometimes walking can level it out. Other times not.

Also I could NEVER handle the loud music at a gym, or exercise facilty. My Y has NO musc and the tv is either close captioned, or you wear your own radio headsets to listen. I wear nothing in my ears or read close captioning on whatever is on or ask for HGTV.

Anyway, anything where SOMEBODY ELSE is running the time clock, does not work for me.

But exercise is NECESSARY so we don't turn into sloths. Its important to fight gravity and help our bones when we can.

Flop, Curves is just a gym for women. I exercise frequently, but had to work up to weights and still have trouble with them. I also need to move at my own pace and there is no way I could move from machine to machine. the getting up and sitting down part might be more tiring than the workout. There are lot of great old posts about exercising. Most people do well with gentle exercise, especially things lying flat, like swimming and pilates. I hope you find something that works for you.

http://fitsugar.com/52425

Here is a partial pic of the curves machines!!!

No way in hello, could I do so much UPPER body weights. That is my biggest trigger doing things with my arms, lifting or over my head weights.

To give you an idea...I have been going to the Y for one year and just in recent months have added upper body stuff and not setting me back. On the LIGHTEST weight (one plate) I do one set for pec muscles...then change the machines position, turn around sitting the other way and do a deltoid exericse.

This past week, I added another machine on it's lowest setting...Lat row I think...squat and lean forward against a leather cushion and pull at LIGHTEST weight.

When I started upper body, I tried doing set of 8. Well, I could only do 3. Now I can do one set of 12...pecs and deltoid...and if not getting lightheaded, the newest addition, the lat row (I need to check the name on that machine)

I was doing 4 machines for lower body buy right knee hurts so do two SAFE machines for my back.

I have used gallon jugs of water, replinishing birds baths multiple times a day in the summer as my upper body exercise! :P

So anyway, the fact is,, except for periods of days up to 1 or 2 weeks where I am feeling TOTALLY yucky and can't PUSh to exercise, I try to go to the Y 2 times a week and the best is three.

If I am there 30 minutes it is do to a good walk on the tread mill with a break, or breaks in between. NEVER 30 minutes of weights.

I gotta say the upper weight deal sets me OFF and has given me flllue symptoms if I over do..so started with legs and working upward.

Try to exercise my brain with thoughts each day, too. :)

I've been doing curves since November and its making a huge difference. There are alot of sit down machines and the fact that you are only on one thing for 90secs then onto the next thing. I am abit exercise intollerant takes a couple of hours after to recharge so i just try to go on my days off. As opposed to a more aerobic workout where I and most you prolly wouldn't last 10mins lol.

Guest tearose

For you who are doing curves, is it pay as you go or is it a month fee? A year fee?

Do they give you a program or can you create your own?

I am thinking of this now and like the idea.

thanks for sharing this,

tearose

I have been doing Curves for 4 years and love it!

It's a circle of 12 or 13 machines with a recovery station (small raised platform) between each. You do each machine for 30 seconds, then the recorded announcement says move to the next station. So the whole circle of ladies move over one and resumes exercise. Every 8 minutes it says "check your heartrate for a 10 second count"and gives a 10 second countdown.

There are no mirrors, no fancy outfits, no lockers so you don't have to change - just come, in drop your keys in a cubbie and jump on a station. You can be in and out in 30 minutes. Often I'm the youngest (52) gal in the room! We're all very supportive, you go at your own pace and can skip any machine that you don't like. Sometimes I just go for 20 minutes.

Anyone can walk in and check it out- it's a very low-key, gentle atmosphere. After years of health club memberships, and serious aerobics classes, this is a relaxing change! ;)

Hi,

thanks for the info about curves, I don't think that there is a group quite like that in the UK. There are lots of "circuits" classes but I haven't heard of one tailored to exercise shy women yet.

My best form of exercise is swimming which I enjoy (if only it didn't entail hair washing too - I find the shower and hair wash/dry/straighten more of a work-out than doing 30 lengths of the pool!).

My Mum goes to a pilates class and when I've been staying with her I've gone a couple of times. It does seem like something I could do more often. I am a member of a gym near where I work but they put most of their classes on duing the working day, I will put in a suggestion that they do a pilates class in an evening or at the weekend.

The doctor that I have seen most recently wants me to do specific leg strengthening exercises so I'm waiting for some advice on what exactly she wants me to do.

Happy exercising,

Flop

I have been wondering about Curves - We have one about 8 miles from where I live. But I, too am wondering about the payment structure.... Pay as you go, or a monthly fee?

And I don't drive so that is another problem...

But it sounds like something I might benefit from.

When I felt I was ready to start exercise again I looked at Curves and other gyms. For me a conventional gym is better in that I know what I can do for how long, and it is not always the same every time. I too could not do the cardio part or the upper body.

I found another gym which is very close and they had a trainer work with you the first time to help you find the right size settings on the machines and make a program that is right for you. They also have free classes if you are a member and the pilates has been perfect, though in the beginning I could only do about half the reps the others did. Now after about 8 months, I can almost do the full class and can even do a "little" upper body work on the machines--like starting with the lowest weight and feeling good if I could do one repetition. Now I can do 12 very slowly and with a heart rate monitor as my guide.

So, for me, I do better if I can choose and control my own exercise program and the gym I go to is more than half "oldies" trying to keep in shape, so I don't feel out of place. If you can find a a gym with a warm water pool, that is even better. In the summer swimming was the first thing I tried and I started with 5 minutes and would need to recover and pant after that. Now I can do 40 or 50 minutes, but again I pace it with a heart rate monitor and stop as soon as I start "getting those feelings." But it has been marvellous for me in gaining stamina for ordinary life tasks.

I think the secret is to go very, very slowly and refuse to do anything you know is not going to work for you. I only increased my exercise sessions by about 2 minutes per session per week. If Curves gives you that freedom, go for it. I just didn't want to be pressures to do things "their" way, and of course they know nothing about dysautonomia and were using conventional cardio training methods.

As far as payment, I signed up on a yearly basis 1) becuase it was cheaper, and 2) because even though there were weeks on weeks when I wan't up to it, I always knew I could walk in the door any day I felt up to it, and that mattered to me. If I paid by session, I'd have gone even less. Sorry for the long riff, but exercise has helped me so much I want others to know, but not to let anyone push you into something you know will have consequences. I also found a pilates teacher who has NCF and is living an almost normal life, largely do to pilates because it strengthens and trains us to use the muscles in the core and legs that help with pooling. I take a private lesson with her each week and she know how to set the level correctly for ME, she has been there. Also read the article in the lastes Dinet newsletter on exercise--interesting and unexpected results coming out of a study with POTS and exercise.

I have been wondering about Curves - We have one about 8 miles from where I live. But I, too am wondering about the payment structure.... Pay as you go, or a monthly fee?

f

Dawg Tired, My Curves is a one time initiation fee, (mine was waived for bringing in food for a food drive), and a monthly fee of about 30 dollars, which they take directly from my checking account. So I never pay anything, just go in, scan my bar code on my key chain, and work out, as often as I like, but recommended 3 times a week. The hours here are Monday thru Friday 6 am to 7pm and half day Saturday. you can PM me if you have any questions. -Ellen

Also you can get a guest pass for any other Curves and they honor them all over town and around the country.

I LOVE CURVES. I went from running everyday to passing out in my car and being told no more exercise until we know what is going on. When I was ready to start exercising a friend suggested curves. You can do as little or as much as you want. The music is loud but I can handle that in the am. I started out really slowly and took comfort in the fact that there were people there keeping an eye on me and lots of mats to lie down on!! I have been going 3 times a week since May. In the beginning I could only do curves on days when I didn't need to do much else. My stamina has increased and my mood is always lifted when I leave. If the arm machines make you sypmtomatic you can skip them - you can do whatever you want! The funniest thing is they have you check your heart rate every ten minutes or so and in order to do that you have to stand still - a big no no for me. Plus with the beta blockers working my heart rate doesn't change too much. Believe me - I was deconditioned when I started and I am much stronger now. If you can - go for it!