Provigil Or Klonopin... Can't Decide !

Tammy

Just came back from my doctor's appt and he would like me to start on either Provigil or Klonopin and I don't have a clue which one to try. I've tried Xanax and it doesn't help me with the wired.. tired feeling, hard to describe, but basically it's a very yucky sensation. I also have difficulty with making sense with words, and also word recall, but my mind isn't really foggy, just am to weak to put sentences together at times. Other times, I get short of breath and so weak just from trying to carry on a conversation... sensory overload is also a problem for me, along with light / sound sensativity. So with all that said, my doctor gave me the above drugs to choose from to try and I just don't know what I think of either. I need something that would both calm down my system but yet not leave me more weak than what I already am. Thanks for any input / ideas on this ;)

- Tammy

Just came back from my doctor's appt and he would like me to start on either Provigil or Klonopin and I don't have a clue which one to try. I've tried Xanax and it doesn't help me with the wired.. tired feeling, hard to describe, but basically it's a very yucky sensation. I also have difficulty with making sense with words, and also word recall, but my mind isn't really foggy, just am to weak to put sentences together at times. Other times, I get short of breath and so weak just from trying to carry on a conversation... sensory overload is also a problem for me, along with light / sound sensativity. So with all that said, my doctor gave me the above drugs to choose from to try and I just don't know what I think of either. I need something that would both calm down my system but yet not leave me more weak than what I already am. Thanks for any input / ideas on this ;)

- Tammy

Do you have to use one or the other? As I understand it, they are very different types of drugs. Klonopin improves your sleep and Provigil makes you more alert when you're awake. It sounds like Klonopin is the more appropriate drug for your kinds of problems though.

I am STUMPED as to why you are asking this question.

Klonopin CALMS the brain and nervous system DOWN which one needs, if feeling over stimulated.

Provigil, is used for narcolepsy, ADD and fatigue and is a major STIMULANT.

If you want a stimulant that is fine. But to ask WHICH med to take when they are at opposite ends of the question makes this almost IMPOSSIBLE to answer. :(

anyway, I have used Klonopin at night for sleeping for 17 years w/o building up a tolerance or addiction. Most folks find it very useful.

I can NOT tolerate stimulants due to the worsening of tachycardia.

So it you feel you are jumping out of your skin, I would suggest Klonopin.

But more curious, I would want to know why your doc would say TAKE ONE OF THESE when they are not remotely similar.

Perhaps I missed your story in another post.

;)

I have used Provigil with great success. There are days I am so tired and "foggy" and the provigil helps so much with that. I use xanax when i need to sleep or anxiety is thru the roof. I haven't used Klonopin, so dont know - though it sounds like it may be more like xanax in effect. If you start the provigil, be patient with it - I had bad headaches and sore throat when I first started it, but those went away after a couple weeks. The provigil also improves my mood substantially. Hope it works out for you.

I take Klonopin and added Provigil to the mix for a short period of time. They do very different things. In fact, I was told the Klonopin would help me 'come down' from the Provigil so I could sleep at night. Klonopin helps take the edge off of a lot of my symptoms. I was given Provigil to help with my fatigue and concentration. I always feel wired but tired, that's the best way I can describe it. I couldn't handle Provigil though, it made me terribly light sensitive. I spent the days that I was on it shielding my eyes. Just my experience. Not sure why you would pick one or the other. Maybe both would work, but you should try one at a time so you know which one is causing what side effects. The only side effect I get with Klonopin is a bit of drowsiness but it isn't bad.

Ditto to what everyone else has said! These are two very different drugs which produce almost opposite effects. The only thing I have to add is that Provigil is VERY expensive and a lot of insurance companies will NOT pay for it unless you have a confirmed diagnosis of Narcolepsy. I have worked in family practice for many years and we have a very hard time prescribing this medication because, although most patients are pleased with the results it produces and would like to continue taking it, their insurance company just won't pay for it.

So, first of all, you need to confirm why he asking you to make a choice (what exactly do you want to treat?) Then, if it's Provigil that you would like to try, make sure your insurance company will pay for it!!

Good luck!