Newbie With Car Problems

lilsagestar

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here. I'm 21 years old and was diagnosed with POTs over four years ago, and so far I've been trying to find what works by trial and error. I've already found a lot of wonderful information on these forums to help me, so I wondered if anyone had a solution to this:

I still haven't been able to get my driver's license for a multitude of reasons (mostly because I have brittle bones and I keep breaking my right arm over and over) but one of my big problems is POTS related. Whenever I've been sitting in a car too long, or I've been out walking around and then get back in the car to drive home, I get a rush of dizziness and feel lightheaded. I've never actually fainted, but I have cases of near syncope all the time. Usually I deal with those episodes by putting my feet up to level out, but I can't do that in the car. I'm worried that I'll have a moment of disorientation in the car and crash. So, is there a way when you first sit down after walking around or when you've been sitting a while to get your blood moving so you don't have an episode?

Thank you all!

~Heather

I'm very sorry you have these things to deal with.

On longer trips in the car I rock my knees in then out repeatedly - just to be moving, I also wear compression stockings. They help me alot. These are to help with blood pooling in the legs. I do know know if that is the issue you are having. If your issue is tachycardia - nevermind!

welcome of couse. If you can ,do a toe bounce ,it is known to help with blood pooling. Of course you can't while your foot is on the pedal.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jht...ntifier=3004908

counter maneuvers work- that site is about using then while standing

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/13/1684

counter maneuvers during TTT

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/55/12/1923

while sitting

The best ways I have found to deal with "car issues" are to drink constantly (Gatorade being the drink of choice) and make frequent stops. If you are drinking constantly, chances are you will HAVE to stop frequently- which will entail getting up and walking to the bathroom. Just the simple act of getting out of the car fr few minutes can help tremendously. Also, don't rush yourself- give yourself more than enough time to get to where you are going to decrease anxiety and also give you the option of taking breaks without worrying about being late. So, just pace yourself- and be prepared. Keep peppermint or peanut butter crackers with you if you have a tendency to get nauseas and sunglasses if you get migraines. I travel A LOT but have learned through the years what works for me. Hope this can be of some help to you. :huh:

Carmen

Welcome! I stopped driving about 3 years ago after my first syncope. It just isn't worth the stress that I may hurt someone else. I just had a birthday Saturday and my license was due, they refused to renew it. I was upset for a bit, even though I didn't use it, it was a loss to give it up. Since my attacks can come with no warning, it might be different than most people, who have the time to pull over or stop, however, according to the laws in my state, if you have a seizure or any type of loss of consciousness, you automatically are not allowed to drive for 6 months.

It's a hard decision to be sure. And it can be scary. A lot of people never pass out if sitting. I am lucky enough to have a ride if i need to go somewhere, not everyone is, so every case is different. Good luck! morgan

Just this last year I have found that even sitting too long makes me dizzy. I have had POTs syptoms sitting for a while, but not getting the near syncope. I think I've had two near syncope spells, and I had a big adrenaline rush both times to keep me going. Now I make sure I have lots of water to drink, and sometimes a v-8 or something. I drink gatorade sometimes, but it has calories I don't need. I try to eat or drink high sodium and avoid drinks with refined carbs.

I've just been put on florinef, and hope this helps with my OI more, as my BPs are really low----and I have a lot of blood pooling. I have never passed out, but have come close a lot over the years. Rarely do I have a problem in the car. In fact only twice since being diagnosed with POTS. However, I've had panic/anxiety type attacks from over doing it often. Then I have to drive home shaking, tachy ect. No fun.

Maxine :0)

Hello Heather, welcome! Im only 16 so I have just recently gotten the "chance" to get my license. However though I dont have the same exact issues as you do with fears of driving, I am worried I will get bad abdominal pain and have trouble breathing, and then like "black out" kinda. I have been really busy and have not had time to get my license, but honestly I'm really quite scared as well!....like you said, what if something happens and I end up crashing...that would not be good.

I dont know how many meds and such you are on, or what exactly your treatment plan is, but maybe you could alter something there to make it more "intense" and perhaps that would help. Good luck!

Welcome, and happy new year!

Mary

Thank you all for your input, and I'm really sorry to hear about your license Morgan. Maxine, the Florinef is what keeps me going, so I hope it helps you too!

I actually went driving for a while today and I tried the techniques that you all suggested - the toe bounce, knee thing, and the leg compression that the links suggested - and it actually helped a great deal! I managed to get through the whole drive without getting the vertigo I usually do. It could have been adrenaline or just me being really focused on it, but I'll keep using the tricks and see if they keep helping.

Mary - I know how you feel with the abdominal pain, I have endymetriosis so I get that too. I don't know if it will help you, but when the pain gets bad for me I use a heating pad (an industrial version of the rice-in-a-sock) and it REALLY helps. Usually if I can manage to back off the pain it doesn't trigger a blackout episode. Maybe that could help you?

And HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

~Heather

Guest tearose

Welcome!

Glad you are finding the information here helpful.

With time, you will learn the little warning signs that would make it unsafe for you to drive.

I can "break" many symptoms by siting or lying down so if I have energy and had a good night sleep, I would know it would be safe to drive.

best regards,

tearose