My Angel Doctor Has Fallen

Kitsakatsa

I've always thought that I had the best doctor for POTS, because he was compassionate enough to listen. He has a closed practice now and I tried to get my brother in to see him because my brother has some scary symptoms. So the MA took the information, checked with him and he denied my brother as a patient. That would be fine, except that this doctor is my cousin. Now I feel like my doctor could care less about me as a patient because he doesn't care about my brother. I even asked if he could take my brother and I would step away as a patient, because I'm much more worried about my brother. They wouldn't do that though. Now, I just feel like its all personal and if he doesn't care then he'll probably fire me as a patient anyway and maybe he really stopped taking care of me years ago etc.

I just don't know. I thought that I mattered as a patient, and I thought our family mattered.

Should I stay or should I find another doctor?

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the doctor "had fallen from grace" :). A few possible explanations may be that: his practice is full -i.e. he is not taking new patients; he does not take the health insurance that your brother carries; he may not feel comfortable taking care of another family member; he may not feel knowledgeable in exploring the kind of symptoms/problems that your brother is experiencing. I think it would be helpful to you to ask the physician or the office directly the reason why your brother cannot be treated there, as well as perhaps, ask what other physician he can be referred to for an evaluation.

The doctor may not be able to take your brother if he is already too busy with other patients. It may be that he wants your brother to have a doctor who can devote adequate time and study to his case. If a doctor is overworked and can't devote the time he needs to his work, then all of the patients suffer. Your doctor could really be looking out for your brothers best interest. This is just a possible flip-side to the story. Perhaps it can shed some light on things.

If you haven't spoken with your doctor directly, don't write him off. He probably still cares about you and wants to help. I hope you continue to get the care you need, and I hope your brother can find a good doctor.

Rachel