Pregnancy, Pots And Baby Update

crazyblue

Well it's been a while since I was on the site (could be something to do with having 5 kids. lol) Thought I'd send an update. I was terrified of being pregnant with POTS since they figured my last pregnancy was what triggered it full blown for me. I felt THE BEST EVER during the last 3 months of pregnancy and kept trying to convince the Dr not to make me have the baby b/c I would feel this good ever again. (planned c-section)

Well my darling little girl Reece was born on Dec 11th 2006 weighing in at a small 7lbs 6ozs (small compared to my others which were all over 8lbs) I was taking Celexa for my POTS and she sort of crashed a few hours after birth (something about withrawals) Very common and she went to NICU for 48hrs to be observed. She perked right back up after being there for 4 hrs but they wanted to be safe. I didn't do too bad after the section but I always have less the average blood loss so that helps. I spent the first night feeling like I was in a sauna! Had lots of palps but nothing too serious. NO fainting thankfully. Breastfed right away and still are (NOT helping me loose weight though ;) Grrr)

She's now 10mths old and doing great and so am I! I still get the dizzies (which drive me nuts and I'm covered in bruises from hitting walls, doors and chairs) I swear that people would think I'm being abused if it wasn't for the fact that he's always out of town! lol I HATE the brain fog which seems to be worse but that's minor compared to what I could be suffering from. Palps still there but tachy seems to have settled. I now have my tubes tied so no more whoops! lol

For anyone worried about being or getting pregnant, It's true what they say about pregnancy making you feel better!!!

MomtoGiuliana- Yup just taking Celexa for now. I'll use it till it doesn't work anymore and then I'll try something else. I just want to take as little meds as possible for as long as possible. It's hard though since no one up here treats it and they all suggest invasive treatments right away like a pacemaker and metoprolol (since HR goes down to the 30's when sleeping)

I was so worried while pregnant b/c I couldn't really find much info so now, I can give it! lol

I once heard of a survey, where who know how much money was spent,and they determined that people with small babies have lower IQ's than they did before they had babies.................NO DUH. It is called sleep deprevation!!!!!!!!! Thought that was a good one.

CONGRATULATIONS.

Congratulations! I had just the EXACT opposite pregnancy experience. The last 3 months of my two pregnancies were the worst POTS symptoms I have ever had. I was nearly bedridden, and my second pregnancy was much worse than the first. Despite 200mg of metoprolol per day, I could only manage to get out of bed to use the toilet and bathe. My children are healthy, thank God. My two pregnancies brought me the biggest joys of my life, my children, but also the greatest hardship of my life, POTS.

Karyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry I didn't see the question until now. I did improve after the second pregnancy, so that I could get out of bed for more than just to use the bathroom. However, I never have recovered after the second pregnancy. It has been 6 years now, and I still have severe (per Dr. Low) POTS. The hardest thing for me was realizing that my symptoms were not going away after the second pregnancy like they did after the first pregnancy. The false hope really hurt me. It took me awhile to accept the permanency of the illness. I always say that I am grateful that I have healthy children. I much rather have the crappy health than have my children suffer from health problems.

Karyn

Thanks for your reply Karyn. I am always so curious about how women with experience similar to mine during pregnancy have fared after pregnancy or multiple pregnancies. I am afraid to attempt another pregnancy. I am greatly recovered, but not where I was prior to pregnancy. I am afraid I could become even sicker and stay sicker after a 2nd.

I've had two pregnancies. I guess the pots happened sometime after the first. I had twins 5 years after my first pregnancy and my cardiologist said that the prenancy would be good for my pots (not goot for the pervious cardiomyopathy). I felt great for the pregnancy except for my other issue flared up again right at the end.

My twins are now 5 and it's only been since a recent virus that I've expreienced the symptoms of brain fog, more fatigue and the dizzy/ off balance feelings. So I would have to say the pots didn't affect my preganancies adversely at all.

JJH