Federal Health Benefits

Mrs. Burschman

My husband has a new job! He will receive federal health benefits with his new position on our congresswoman's staff. My question is this: Are the benefits any good? Are spouses covered? How about wacky autonomic disorders? If anyone has any first-hand knowledge, I'd be much obliged.

We currently have coverage through the newspaper where we both work. It's not bad, but I'm weighing the options ...

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Our family has been covered by federal BCBS for over 20 years and we have been pretty happy with it. I am not sure how your current insurance compares. Most govt employees have several plans to pick from. I don't know what your husbands particular benefits package will be. We pay for family plan and there are two options - Standard and Basic. We have the Standard plan.

The problem for us is that our daughter just turned 22- still in college, but insurance ends at 22, regardless of student status. There were pros and cons to this, meaning if your child wasn't a student -they still could be covered until this age. NOW we are paying hundreds of dollars a month to keep her coverage while she finishes school. She has option of 36 months of continued coverage under the plan which provides the same coverage she has had