Compression Hose

dizzygirl

hi folks..

i was wondering.. do any of you experience sweeling in your feet and ankles AFTER (its not there before) you put your hose on?

and my next question is.. do any of you experience bad headaches in the back of your head after taking you hos off for the day?

I ve noticed and maybe its just a coincidental.. but after i stand up after taking my hose off.. i get like insta heart pounding in the back of my head.. which leads to alot of pressure and stuff back there... its like a loud hard pounding BOOMBOOM BOOM in my head.. so NOT cool! and makes me feel like kaka

:)

Linda,

I don't get any swelling after my stockings are on. I actually don't have noticeable swelling when they're off, though, either. My whole legs will turn blue/purple, but they don't swell (but maybe I haven't stood up long enough to see the swelling...).

As for headaches after taking my hose off for the day - sometimes, just because my blood then doesn't flow as well. Whenever I get pre-syncope I will get a horrible headache in the back of my head. It is a loud, hard, extremely painful pounding like you said. So if I stand up without my stockings (sometimes even with) and my bp drops too quickly then I will start to gray out and get the bad headache. If I faint then the pounding headache doesn't come until I wake up. The pain is worse then any migraine I've ever had, but thankfully it is short lived. I have found that if I crane my head back as far as it will go that it helps to alleviate the pain more quickly. Does this sound like what you're talking about?

Rachel

Linda,

If you don't wear your stockings do your legs swell during the day? Gravity causes any swelling to go to your feet whilst you are standing or sitting during the day, when you lie down overnight the swelling "goes" as it drains away from your feet as gravity is no longer pulling it towards your feet.

Usually stockings help to keep your blood pressure up by squeezing blood from the legs back up towards the heart. When standing without stockings you probably get pooling of blood in your leg veins, this means that there is less blood getting back to the heart and therefore less blood being pumped out of the heart. To try to increase the amount of blood the heart pumps out it starts to beat faster and race, eventually this can lead to a blackout.

Hope that makes sense?

Flop

rachel yea i have similar symptoms that you are talking of... and yea pots headaches i think sometimes are indeed worse then migraines... my legs turn purplish dark red.. even black in spots...w/o hose on.. and my upper legs are that color when i have hose on...its amazing! the colros they change...

Flop... yes i get a small amount of sweeling in my feet.ankles (mainly my right foot).. when im not wearing the hose..But when i wear my hose...both feet swell to the point that my stocking like cut into my feet/ankles...

I do have days where my stocking do not cut into my feet and i dont have swelling... so im abit baffled whats making them do this.. guess its a question for the ANS dr!!

thanks for the info ladies!

It's a mystery dizz - I don't know why you should get worse swelling with the stockings on. I find that when I have stockings on instead of my ankles swelling I get a bit of swelling round my knees (knee length stockings) but I guess that is just fluid that can't drain as low as my feet so sits above the stocking.

Having the stockings cut into your feet and ankles sounds painful and is probably not good for your skin or feet. I think a call to the doctor that prescribed them is needed - perhaps they will have some ideas or want to do some other tests to see why you are swelling.

Hope it gets sorted for you,

Flop

• 4 weeks later...

Flop,

I understand why POTS symptoms flare up again when you take compression stockings off. But, what happens with me is that when I take my stockings off, my POTS symptoms are worse than they would be had I not worn stockings all day. Does that make sense? Shouldn't it just go back to how it would be without the stockings?

Best,

Rachel

Linda,

If you don't wear your stockings do your legs swell during the day? Gravity causes any swelling to go to your feet whilst you are standing or sitting during the day, when you lie down overnight the swelling "goes" as it drains away from your feet as gravity is no longer pulling it towards your feet.

Usually stockings help to keep your blood pressure up by squeezing blood from the legs back up towards the heart. When standing without stockings you probably get pooling of blood in your leg veins, this means that there is less blood getting back to the heart and therefore less blood being pumped out of the heart. To try to increase the amount of blood the heart pumps out it starts to beat faster and race, eventually this can lead to a blackout.

Hope that makes sense?

Flop

Bella / Rachel,

it is interesting that you find your POTS even worse after removing stockings. I don't have any actual information on this and no real personal experience. If I am wearing my stockings I don't take them off until the last minute before climbing into bed. If I do take them off earlier it is right before getting into a bath - baths always make me feel potsy afterwards so difficult to compare.

I guess that your body gets used to the compensated increase in venous return from the stockings during the day. When you take the stockings off you may be getting a sudden displacement of a lot of blood volume downwards into your legs - bad venous pooling. That could give you a sudden increase in severe POTS symptoms. I think that our bodies get used to one state / condition and any sudden changes are not good for our symptoms.

Have you tried leaving your stockings on until you are ready to get into bed? I have got quite good at throwing them into the laundry bag from the bed - my aim is getting better too!

Flop

haha thanks for the insight!

Bella / Rachel,

it is interesting that you find your POTS even worse after removing stockings. I don't have any actual information on this and no real personal experience. If I am wearing my stockings I don't take them off until the last minute before climbing into bed. If I do take them off earlier it is right before getting into a bath - baths always make me feel potsy afterwards so difficult to compare.

I guess that your body gets used to the compensated increase in venous return from the stockings during the day. When you take the stockings off you may be getting a sudden displacement of a lot of blood volume downwards into your legs - bad venous pooling. That could give you a sudden increase in severe POTS symptoms. I think that our bodies get used to one state / condition and any sudden changes are not good for our symptoms.

Have you tried leaving your stockings on until you are ready to get into bed? I have got quite good at throwing them into the laundry bag from the bed - my aim is getting better too!

Flop