A "delayed" Pots Reaction/response

cardiactec

I know that a lot of people with POTS/dysautonomia have difficulty when they first get rolling in the morning, particularly when first getting out of bed.....with me though, I do okay when I first get out of bed and while up for the first hour or so....I start getting really POTSY feeling after I take a shower and from then on, the rest of the day is shaky ground.

Does everyone here always get symptomatic when they first get out of bed or is there a delayed reaction/response? what is your experience with symptoms as to when they occur - when they first start to bother you -- getting out of bed first thing? after you're up for a couple minutes/hours? after showering? after eating breakfast? in the afternoon? etc?

Besides my anxiety, which is always worst in the morning, it seems like my POTS-y reactions are pretty steady throughout the day. It depends on what I'm doing. An example: on Tuesday, I got groceries, and I felt so tired and tachy after carrying them up the stairs into our apartment, I took a little nap. Wednesday I went to tai chi, and I noticed that holding my arms up was really difficult. If I take too hot of a shower, that really wipes me out.

Amy

I feel it when its time to take my med. The script says every 12 hours, but I do every 11- which has been oked by the Dr. I am exhausted and cranky

for my first hour of the day, Whether that has anything to do with BP issues, I don't know.

Showers make me feel better. And I am NCS- not POTS>

Hi,

in the mornings I am usually really tired but once I get myself up and going I'm ok for a few hours. By late morning I'm getting really symptomatic and hungry, having lunch seems to make things worse but by mid-afternoon I pick up again and am ok for a few hours. Early evening flop I go again, if I manage to rest and get through the evening symptoms I usually get a bit better about 11pm and can then "go" for a bit longer.

The pattern isn't always like that but it has been the last few weeks. Other times I can have long periods (weeks) without symptoms then have weeks or months of feeling dreadful pretty much all the time from getting up until I go to bed again.

Flop

dysautonomia effects everybody different in regards to how they do at certain point in the day... some ppl do well in the am other do well in the afternoon.. or late evening hours..

I know that for myself that I have been all over the spectrum of what time of day i do better in.. there are times when i "perk" up and am more functioning after 7pm.. other time.. I function better at like 11pm for a few hours...

lately I am doing better the very first hour or 2 upon waking.. by 9-10 am im back in bed taking a nap...(most mornings..unless i have a very bad night then its a different story).. and as the day goes on I feel progressively worse.. and the remainer of the day is shot. then there are times when morning hours are absolutly horrible....

dysautonomia is always changing for us-one wk tachy and chest pain is the biggest symptom.. the next wk it could GI issues and cold feet.. be it a delayed response or just the way things are working for you at this particular time..

The later, the worse for me. I get more and more tired through out the day....it's like a cumulative effect. Also, on my TTT, the second minute showed significant deficit in blood to the brain, but it got worse and worse...so like at 20 minutes it was about 75% deficit (only 25% of the adequate blood was reaching my brain). So yeah, I think there is a delayed effect. But adjusting to position changes makes a difference too...if you don't get out of bed the right way (ie slowly in stages). Hope this helps.

Sometimes at night if I have had several episodes during the day, then at night even while I am lying down I have a hard time breathing. My breathing is very swallow and my chest hurts like someone is sitting me on. It can take me awhile to get comfortable and this interferes with my sleep.

mary

cardiactec,

i am like you. i am up at 5:30am everyday and i fell pretty ok. but i start really feeling potsy ablut noon on. i have a few crazy eye episodes before then. but fatigue and all the rest usually happen later. that is if, ido not have any thing residual left from the day before going on ( swelling,pain, etc.). which can happpen a few times weekly. and even then i am still up at the crack of dawn.

on my ttt i had a delayed reaction. i was feeling pretty good that day and i took at around 2pm. i did start showin symptoms early but, my legs were killing me. i made it to the last few seconds of the 45min test and lost it. i was slurring adn couldn't breathe that well. i had gone longer than anyone else had according to the techs. i had also gone higher than any other hr and lower than any other bp they had seen. so my reaction was a delayed pots. doc says it's cuz my sympathectic system is so strong. what ever that means.

but i think it does explain the delay in pots. when i did fall i was only breathing 3bpm. pretty low. so i don't think a delayed reaction makes us any less potsy.