How Do You Deal With The Scary Stuff?

friday

Right now I am having trouble getting to sleep because sometime I have trouble breathing and I'll wake right as I'm drifting off because of a tightness in my throat. *been tested for sleep apnea so it' s not that*

I try not to focus on it, it's just hard to get back to sleep after you were just jolted awake and your heart is pounding.

I would like to find a way to deal with these weird feelings because most stuff doesn't seem very treatable.

I'll also get scared when I suddenly feel weak for no reason. just feels like the life is draining out of me. I hate that feeling so much. Some night's I don't feel sleepy as I I fall asleep so much as weak. And then I try and let it take over and just go with it so I can fall asleep. Not the most restful way to sleep.

I guess I have a harder item with it because my brother died in front of me a few years ago. and he had similar symptoms. I know it' s not the same as him but my mind can' t forget what happened either. As soon as I feel the breathing things I think of him. I don't do it consciously . It's just a knee jerk reaction. same thing with the weakness or numbness when it happens all of a sudden I get scared, in a knee jerk reaction way. Ten I have to try to deal with going back to sleep when my heart is racing. I've been checked out thoroughly and I know it' s not anything dangerous. I really wish I could just turn that reaction stuff off.

I was just wondering how others deal with the scary symptoms you have? What kinds of ways do you have to cope. What kinds of self talk helps you?

Hi, I sympathise with you. It is a horrible feeling. Deep Breathing exercices have helped me with this and I also take a mild tranquiliser or anti-histamine which helps the relaxation and slows down the tachy / restlessness. I also do some relaxation techniques which involves repeating a phrase over and over in your head such as: 'My left leg is very relaxed and comfortable' - repeat 3 x and then go on to right leg, arms and other body parts until you should eventually fall asleep. Emphasising a different word in the phrase each time you repeat it, will help relax your mind as well as body but it is important to keep to the same phrase. It is good to practise this when you are feeling better too so that it becomes easier to do at the times you really need it. I do hope this helps! Helen

Friday,

I SO feel your fear! :)

I think the breathing exercises (and relaxation in general) is an excellent suggestion. You're doing the right thing also by being aware of what you're telling yourself. I know that's a huge issue with me, and I'm working on it!

I don't really have anything new to add. I just wanted to let you know that I -- and we -- understand.

Amy

I think breathing meditation would help. Its paced breathing and mind clearing. Its also a basic form of meditation-

so, not difficult.

Sorry to hear about the ordeal with your brother.

good luck

thank you.

I have been taught breathing excersizes..I have trouble remembering to do them.LOL The deep breathing diaphragm ones, I mean. I have to remember to do those throughout the day!

I've been trying to meditate a little but I'm not very good at it. I guess it takes time to learn. I really wish I had a teacher or a class. It 's just harder to do on my own. But I guess I don't have a choice.

Thanks for help ;)

Friday,

I SO feel your fear! ;)

I think the breathing exercises (and relaxation in general) is an excellent suggestion. You're doing the right thing also by being aware of what you're telling yourself. I know that's a huge issue with me, and I'm working on it!

I don't really have anything new to add. I just wanted to let you know that I -- and we -- understand.

Amy

Thanks for your understanding.;)

I also have been taught the relaxation techniques..for trying to sleep etc. I guess it' s difficult.. sometimes it helps and sometimes I just get nervous about using my breathing to relax.

See when my brother passed one o f the things that was so upsetting was he couldn't breathe. So the subject of relaxing my breathing brings up conflicted feelings. It' s hard to explain. But I'm trying to get through this. Talking about it helps. I have tended to avoid talking about the breathing thing for a while. But I need to address so ..

Thanks for your understanding.. it helps.:P

Hi, I sympathise with you. It is a horrible feeling. Deep Breathing exercices have helped me with this and I also take a mild tranquiliser or anti-histamine which helps the relaxation and slows down the tachy / restlessness. I also do some relaxation techniques which involves repeating a phrase over and over in your head such as: 'My left leg is very relaxed and comfortable' - repeat 3 x and then go on to right leg, arms and other body parts until you should eventually fall asleep. Emphasising a different word in the phrase each time you repeat it, will help relax your mind as well as body but it is important to keep to the same phrase. It is good to practise this when you are feeling better too so that it becomes easier to do at the times you really need it. I do hope this helps! Helen

Thanks,

Yeah I have done those types of excersizes in the past, and found them helpful.

I guess what happens is when have trouble breathing it gets harder to do them. Or when I feel this really weak feeling. It' shard to describe but when I am falling asleep, it' s like all the life is draining from my body. Then that scares me and I wake up. I can do the excersizes and get to the point of relaxation enough to start sleeping but then like I said I get these weird feelings and get scared and then that wakes me up. I gets really frustrating relaxing yourself with all of these excersizes and then get jolted awake anyways....I guess what I really need to do is work on the reaction I'm getting to these feelings. trying to re frame the way I'm thinking about them. Not an easy task.

But all the support helps. Thank you.

I don't deal with scary stuff well at all, actually. So, I am right there with you. HOWEVER, I am really working hard on not being so scared and worried all the time. It's just not worth it.

Thanks.

I think that's the thing. I'm trying to deal with the fear. It' s so hard. It' s just hard to address all of the issues I have in therapy in just 45 minutes a week. I need about three hours.LOL

I want to try hypnosis with my therapist. Problem is right now I'm too sick to ride all that way..She's pretty far so we do phone sessions. But I was hoping that might help me deal with the fear easier.

Friday,

I know just how you feel. My little one, when he was a toddler, almost died in my arms. He was actually blue and unconscious and I had to do rescue breathing, etc. He's seven and healthy now, but you never forget... Even now, if I'm around someone who even sounds like they are having somewhat labored breathing I tend to overreact.

My escape is to read. I love to read, and I can lose myself in books. It is better to get uplifting or funny ones, though, and not gruesome mysteries or Stephen King novels. After reading for a while, I find that my panic is pretty much gone and I can go to sleep.

Are you on any meds that might help you with this reaction?

Good luck,

Angela

Friday,

I know just how you feel. My little one, when he was a toddler, almost died in my arms. He was actually blue and unconscious and I had to do rescue breathing, etc. He's seven and healthy now, but you never forget... Even now, if I'm around someone who even sounds like they are having somewhat labored breathing I tend to overreact.

My escape is to read. I love to read, and I can lose myself in books. It is better to get uplifting or funny ones, though, and not gruesome mysteries or Stephen King novels. After reading for a while, I find that my panic is pretty much gone and I can go to sleep.

Are you on any meds that might help you with this reaction?

Good luck,

Angela

Angela,

I'm so glad that you're child is alright now. That must have been so horrible to have to go through.

But I see you know what I mean. It's a reaction that you don't really think about, it just happens automatically.

I'm glad you found something to help you. My mother's a big reader. I wish I could read but I have trouble because of my eyes. I have thought about books on tape. I htought maybe I would try to listen to that at night and maybe it would be relaxing. I'm gonna look tonight and see if they have any online that I can download right into the computer.:) Thanks for the suggestion.

The only med that really helps with anxiety is Ativan. I've tried other things but they never seem to work. But it doesn't put me to sleep.

thanks for sharing your experience with me.

I have a book to recommend for you.

No Death, No Fear (Paperback)

by Thich Nhat Hanh

you can go to amazon and read the customer reviews to see if you might like it. Thich Nhat Hanh is very readable, personable,

simple and profound.

I haven't been reading much lately . I can' t read much cause I have trouble with my eyes, but I read a little bits at a time . I have read are books are to do with Zen, budisum, The I ching, Etc. So I have heard of Thich Nhat Hanh and particularly that book. I guess I was afraid to read it. LOL

See, I had a near death experience years ago.

After that I didn't really have a great fear of death.

But then my brother died,

and then I went through an experience in the hospital where thought I was going to die after that.

Part of what was hard was that I felt bad for leaving my family after they already lost my brother. The other part was just not knowing what happens after.

I'll go over to Amazon and look for the book. If it isn't the right one I can look for others. I think it might be good though because I have found books on eastern philosophy to be helpful.. It 's something I have to deal with. And I have to find a way of dealing with the fear. Thanks for the suggestion.