Compression Hose

rdslots

Sensitive skin, here -- always has been, but this is a new one to me.

The PCP and a vascular surgeon to whom I was referred, prescribed thigh-high compression hose. I have been wearing JOBST, and have been wearing them at night to help with leg pain. Today, I had a rash, and actual blisters, where I must be allergic to the material at the top of the hose.

I am allergic to latex, and most adhesives (like what you find on EKG stickies, and Holter monitors). NOwhere on the box did I see 'latex.' They do have 17% spandex and 11% silicone in addition to the elastic fabric.

Anyone here familiar with this? Do I try a different brand, and if so, what? Or do I go ahead and see if the INS company will consider 'zapping' some veins, and fixing the valve in my groin area, now? The vascular surgeon told me my carrier wants patients to try 'conservative measures,' and document them, for three months.

My poor thighs have itched and burned all day, and are in the perfect pattern of the top of the hose.

Was it just at the top? Could it be like a friction/rubbing thing? Are they the right size? Or maybe you could be sensitive to whatever may be on them from manufacturing, does the directions have cleaning directions that you can try to wash them to get any residues off. Also, if you sweat etc. you can also get irritation, I don't wear them, but maybe sometype of powder to absorb moisture? You might want to check before doing that though. maybe also watch having any lotion etc. on before putting them on.

Good luck!

The stockings are about three weeks old. I noticed from the first time I put them on, my legs itched, but I assumed it was just an initial 'getting-used-to-the-compression' sort of thing. I wash them as directed in a mild detergent that has never caused me any problem (I have to be careful about that too). I don't use lotion.

I was also fitted for the stockings so I don't think that is the problem. These are actual blisters like I have gotten from skin sensitivities in the past -- a burn of sorts, which is what a bad allergy to latex is like. (My husband, the chemist, says it's xylene in latex that burns us.)

I think I must be allergic to the material at the top of the hose used to help keep them on? This rash/blister is in the same pattern as the top 2-3" of the stockings, no less.

Thanks for helping me explore possibilities. I wonder if anyone else out there has ever experienced something like this, and if maybe another brand might not do this? These were JOBST, and I thought they were a good brand.

I think that is a good brand. I wonder due to the nature of blood volume type issues if it would be possible if your size may flucuate, so sometimes they may be too big from when they were measured? I don't know, that may be a leap? Are they too high? Probably should contact you prescribed them.

Hopefully you will find a solution. :)

I'm allergic to a lot of things and have sometimes reacted as you describe. I also have dermatographism--meaning I get hives from simple pressure and friction. I find the thigh-highs hard to manage. Jobst does make some without the top silicon part, but then you would need a garter belt. I also wear knee braces, so sometimes I fold the top pver the top of the braces.

If your skin is irritated, you probably have to come up with another plan, at least until the irritation heals.

It is probably an allergy to the elastic.

I'm allergic to all the things you mentioned as well as somse elastics. I wonder if there is a smiggen of latex or something in there?

I'm with you! Perhaps the insurance will take this into consideration. I would take pictures of the blisters and stop wearing the stockings until you consult your physician.

Dari

i've tried the thigh-highs once but for the most part wore waist-high hose for years. if it's only the top portion that seems to be the problem perhaps waist-high could be an option (as they don't need the gripping material to hold them up at the top). i can relate, but i got rashes more so from my knees down or so. i too tend to have sensitive skin, am allergic to several types of adhesives, etc. i actually don't have a problem with latex though. but anyhoo...i have dermatographism too so for me the rash seemed to be pressure-related, somewhat of a catch-22 since pressure is the point of the hose in the first place. i didn't have this problem for the first few years i wore hose but developed it later (or at least it progressed to the point of being more bothersome). my rash didn't blister (as some of my adhesive allergies certainly do) but was more like hives. i tried numerous brands, played with changing sizes (despite having been measured properly), etc.

for this and other GI-related issues/ tubes that make the hose problematic i don't wear them any longer. they did wonderful things for me for years but toward the end of my time wearing them they no longer did a lot for me. i've tried them again a few additional times but the slight benefit i may get doesn't override the rashes & increased GI pain & vomiting they bring about.

i hope you're able to figure out a way to give them a try though & that they might help you....they helped me a LOT for quite some time.

:) melissa

Thank you very much, all of you.

I had the rash/blisters first thing yesterday morning, and it made me cringe to even bathe in a cool shower. The rash is better but the blisters are still there, and it all continues to itch and burn. I really think it is a sensitivity to something in the hose, and in the grippers at the top of the thigh-high variety. I'm not sure exactly what the vascular surgeon will want to do, but I will be calling his office first thing in the morning. For the most part, I had the impression we were sort of 'jumping through hoops' as required by my INS carrier before he could request we actually address the veins and the valve in my left leg, in particular.

Oh well. One more thing, huh?

Oddly enough, Melissa, the entire time I taught, I used to wear tights that were tight, a mild compression of sorts, and they always made my legs feel better. Of course, in warm weather, I couldn't do that, and that is how I came to realize the benefit from wearing something like compression hose. I initially wore the knee high variety -- as advised by the cardiologist, after the initial NCS episode, but didn't see much benefit, in terms of keeping me off the floor. I only recently went into the thigh-highs because of the pain in my legs, especially the left one.

I also looked at the JOBST website last night, and evidently there are rare instances when people are unable to wear the hose due to allergies and sensitivities to the materials in the stockings. You think another brand would be better in my situation? or all compression hose made of the same substances?

Interesting info you all have shared. Now that I think about it, I have had reactions over the years to some brands of panty hose, and socks -- especially the ones with a lot of 'elastic' stretch to them. But never a reaction like this.

I also like mediven and juzo, in terms of brands. I can't really say which would be less irritating. You could try calling the people at brightlife, a company that sells a bunch of brands, explain your dilemma, and ask their advice. They've always been really eager to help when I've called.

When it's hot, I wear the knee-high, but the elastic and tightness really irritates my skin even without the silicone band, and I can't do it multiple days in a row. I get raised welts that I think are mainly from pressure/rubbing. (add knee brace on top!). And then I go back to the waist-high, that are hot and annoying for other reasons. But I do feel generally less woozy with stockings, than without.

not that i'm the authority on the issue, but i'd vote for trying at least one other brand before throwing in the towel so to speak? and/or trying the waist-high or the thigh-highs that need a garter belt (and thus don't have the extra elastic). just my two cents.

it's funny, though....i had the SAME experience in noticing that i felt better with a bit of compression in years past...for me long before i ever had a diagnosis. for me it was really thick dance tights (i did a lot of musical theater). others would complain about the tightness and/or buy larger sizes but i LOVED them!!! only later did i put two & two together.

i've never noticed much help with anything other than waist-high as far as orthostatic issues go, which (for what it's worth) is what most of the research confirms too as i understand it. though i don't doubt at all that some are helped by knee or thigh high to varying degrees. and obviously you're wearing them (or trying to wear them!) now for different reasons.

i really can empathize with the painful blisters. while the hose didn't bring me to that bad of a rash, many adhesives do & ha supposving had central lines continuously now for almost 2 years i had to endure them quite a bit until we found a dressing i could tolerate. i still have scars, and during my recent hospital stay they missed my tegaderm allergy initially in the ICU so i have a few fresh ones as well as the initial dressings on my arterial line & the central line in my neck were something i was allergic. of course i do realize that keeping me alive was more important than a rash at the time, but i was none too thrilled to have the blisters when i became alert enough to realize what had happened. but i digress....

i hope your skin is happier soon & that you're able to find some hose than work for you....

:) melissa

p.s. i'm not suggesting it's something you want to or should proceed with right away, but documented intolerance/ allergy to the conservative methods of treatment should satisfy any insurance requirement (if your doctor writes it up properly). they (insurance) probably would expect you to try at least other brand (or determine that they are all made of the same materials, which i don't think is entirely the case) and/or style.

p.p.s. don't quote me on this, but if my memory serves me correctly i recall Sigvarus brand "feeling" a lot different than many of the others i tried over the years. aside from Jobst (which i tried several styles of) others i tried were Juzo & Ames Walker's own brand, though all were waist high.

I think someone already suggested taking a photo - that may be a huge help when trying to persuade your insurance that you really were allergic / intolerant of the hose. However I would also try different styles or brands, probably avoid the thigh-high hold ups as they do have a lot more elastic in the large welt at the top in order for them to stay up.

Personally I wear Mediven Elegance knee highs (my cardiologist insists that there is no benefit to longer stockings, but I'm not so sure!). I do have dermographism (I get wonderful hives arround my waist if I wear trousers or tights that are too tight, but I don't have a latex allergy.

Melissa - it took me a while to work out how come I can manage to do a short tap-dancing class but am completely intolerant of other forms of excercise (other than swimming). It was only when I went to a tap class in my own clothes that I realised it was the dancing outfit that helps so much. I usually wear compression underwear (like very tight knee length shorts) and knee high compression stockings with very tight dance leggings and a leotard over the top.

Flop

Thanks again for the feedback.

I'll be sure to let you know what I find out tomorrow when I call the vacular surgeon's office, and go by the Medical Supply place. I don't think the Med Supply carried anything but the JOBST, but I do recall seeing the Mediven brand advertised in the surgeon's office. It's worth a try, I think, too. I am not chomping at the bit for surgery if other measures will help with the leg pain I experience.

Promised I would get back to you all.

I saw the PA at the vascular surgeon's office today, following the scan on my legs -- much to my chagrin I seem to have valve problems and varicosities in both legs, and according to the nurse, it's just a matter of time before the right leg starts bothering me. We compared the materials in the JOBST hose to that in the Mediven, and while the materials are the same, some of the % are different. Because we haven't been able to rule-out an allergy to the actual fabric of the hose, I am supposed to try them again to determine if the rash on my legs was indeed from the stockings. There is no doubt that the grippers at the top of the hose blistered my skin -- this many days later, and you can still see it.

JOBST guarantees their hose, so if I am allergic to the hose themselves, I can return this pair as well as the second pair the Med Supply has ordered for me. I guess they will reimburse my INS company. Come tomorrow, I will try the hose again to see if the rash down the leg(s) returns. I either have to roll the top down to keep it away from my skin, or the PA suggested putting a layer of cotton flannel between the band at the top and my skin.

I find it hard to believe that the vascular surgeon's office has yet to see anyone with a reaction to compression hose. Are we that much of a minority? In the event I can actually tolerate the fabric of the hose, I am willing to try the pantyhose variety, but just how much more difficult are they to get on? and are they h-o-t? I am so sensitive to the heat.

Because I had not had the hose on since Saturday, I thought I would try this this evening -- a run-through of sorts. So much for that.

Withing two minutes of pulling them up, my legs started itching -- mildly. I thought perhaps it would pass, but after 30 minutes, I wanted to scream. Now I have a nice pink rash and the itching is driving me nuts -- a lot like hives. Unless there is a compression hose out there of completely different material, I think I may well be out-of-luck.

ARRGGHH.

Unfortunately, the hives appeared all over the leg. The PA at the DR's office suggested I contact Bright Life to see if there were any other suggestions, or compression hose available made of different materials, but she said I may have to "chalk up" wearing compression hose. She had never heard of people being allergic to the fabric.

I'm glad I had had some feedback from you folks, and my husband was home to see it for himself. I am really afraid to try it again.