Any Hints On How To Deal With Excessive Heat That Brings On Symptoms?

ajw4790

Hi!

Heat brings on a lot of my symptoms. So, I know avoid it right!? If only it were that simple! :)

The worst for me can be at school where I can't control the environment in the winter. They crank the heat! People can have sweat stains like everywhere, it can get bad. Anyways, I have pleaded that they do something about it. I guess we'll see, doubt there will be much difference. There are no windows, and I will probably take in a fan, but if it makes any kind of noise, I know there will be complaints. Also, not everyone runs as hot as me!

I know to have plenty of water, and dress in layers, including some very light ones. Ask to leave the door open etc.

It has gotten so bad that while I am doing a practical exam (doing tests on a "patient") with a professor grading you, I have almost taken off my shirt because I had a sports bra on and was way to hot and blacking out. Well I may or may not have done much for my grade, but I figured it was not the professional thing to do! So, I failed the exam, was blacking out, and running to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up.

So, is anyone else like this and have you found anything that works?

This goes for summer heat too, but at least you can escape that by going inside. In the winter it is freezing outside!

Thanks for any hints!

I work in a hospital and have *exactly* the same problem. The only thing I do that you haven't mentioned is to use a portable fan (which also squirts water for extra cooling). It really helps. Plus I only wear t-shirts.

I have problems when travelling by public transport and shopping too during winter.

I'm looking forward to reading your replies :)

The only thing i can think of is taking a vacuum flask filled with ice and water and a couple of wet wipes which you could pour some of the cool water and bathe your head and arms withit occassionally. Wearing cotton and having layers that you can take off and on. This has helped me a little, especially with migraines as my head can suddenly feel like it is on fire. I hope it might help you!!! Helen

I purchased a cooling vest this summer and it has helped me so much. I got it primarily for the days that I need to go out of the house for a doctors appointment, church, etc. Just a few minutes in the GA summer heat would wipe me out for a day or two. The vest helps a lot with my heat intolerance. I also wear it inside sometimes if needed. It's not my favorite fashion piece, :P but it is very practical. The one I wear is the Cool Vest Classic. http://www.coolsport.net/index2.html They also have some other cooling accessories that I haven't tried like a wrap for your neck.

I have found that the cool packs in my vest last for 2 hours or more. You can buy two sets and keep a second one in a cooler or a refrigerator. That way you always have cooler temps coming your way. Ahhh...

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Rachel

The cooling vest is a good idea, but if you want a less expensive idea, get a cool wrap. They sell them at Wal-mart and some sports stores. They are about 2 feet long and about 1-2 inches wide and have gel beads inside. You soak them in cold water and the beads absorb the cold water. They you just wrap around your neck or drape them. They stay cold for hours and won't leave your cloths all wet. My daughter uses them when she plays sports. She also has POTS/NMH. They work well for her. They run about 2-3 dollars at Wal mart, a little more at sports stores.

AJW,

They're right; cooling vests are expensive. If you can get away with a cheaper option, that's great. Depending on the severity of heat intolerance/the inside temp, though, a cooling vest may be the only way to go. But it would definitely be worth trying the cheaper option first.

Rachel

Hello AJW,

I to have heat problems and have found a great answer to going out and keeping myself cool and its quite cheap :o

At our local chemist we can buy those menthol headache cooling pads , made from a sort of gel stuff that you stick onto your forehead when a headache is bad .

Well, if you stick one or two of these on the back of your neck ................. or on your wrists .............OMG instant cool relief and they can be used time and time again. When the ones on my neck get warm , I just stick them back onto the plastic film they came on and then stick the next two on , then change around all again later , the first ones would have gone cold again by then .

As long as you keep them 'just for you' well I sue mine over and over again until they die on me (1 month at around ?5 UK prices for a pack of 4-5 ( $2.50 ) these little gel pads are a made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.

Willows.