Complex Migraines

PattiL

Another exciting couple days in the hospital! Late Wed. night Chrissy was talking to me one minute and the next, she wasn't able to speak. Her jaw and tongue were numb and she just couldn't get the words out. We went to the local ER, they did a CAT scan and got a little nervous--they don't have any neuro's there. Chrissy's internal med Dr. was called and they then sent us down to University Hospitals in Cleveland, (Chrissy'll do anything for an ambulance ride--hahaha) which we were grateful for, since they have most of Chrissy's records. Anyway, they did an MRI and and EEG. BY 7:30 am she was able to speak normally.

They came up with 'complex migraines'. It's when the blood vessels in the brain become constricted and then dilate; when the blood vessels dilate, the headache develops. (She had complained of a headache (not migraine) around 9 pm and took tylenol, which helped. Scary stuff. We thought she might be having a stroke. Once in the ER, her left arm was twitching quite a bit also. Her jaw is still alittle numb, but they didn't seem too concerned with that. We have to go back to the neuro clinic in two weeks and have a ton of questions. Just curious if anyone has gone through this ordeal and if they've had more than one.

I'm glad it's over!!!

Patti

She is doing better today. She didn't mention a headache when I woke her up b/f I went to work, but that doesn't necessarily mean she didn't have one at all. She went to work today for a few hours and has a class tonight also. I hope it doesn't wear her out too much. I just hope this was a flukey (sp?) thing and won't happen again.

Patti

Sorry to hear Chrissy is experiencing these- they are AWFUL. I have had many over the past seven years- as someone mentioned- "hemiplegic migraine" and "complicated migraines" are both good things to search. I know I personally have posted in the past about them- hope you can find some of the information to be of help.

Carmen

Don't worry- they are frightening at the time but they're just like regularmigraines with some quirky effects added! I get them too- they usually affect my left eye, hand, arm and leg. The aura itself doesn't involve a sore head for me- that usually comes later.

I had one just a couple of weeks ago. The more of them I have (may 3 or 4 a year), the better I am at coping. The aura never lasts that long, and wheras before I couldn't balance or walk right for ages after, and had to leave college to go home and rest, now I can stay up here, take it easy the next day and get stuck right in to work again. Although saying that, my head has only just started to feel properly clear again.

Do google hemiplegic migraines- understanding is the key to feeling empowered so you don't get freaked and go through ER trauma again.

Good luck

I have hemiplegic migraines. They are NO FUN! My whole left side goes numb and gets completely useless, and that includes the vision in my left eye. I haven't had one in over a year, however, since I started taking the Metoprolol.

Edited to add: I don't take Topomax or Imitrex or any of the other migraine meds since they are contraindicated for hemiplegic migraines.

I don't know if this would help hemiplegic migraines, as I get those less often than migraines with head pain, but I did start taking magnesium 600mgs and riboflavin 200 mgs several weeks ago, actually upon the suggestion of doctorguest on this list. I've had a couple minor headaches, but so far nothing like my fullblown migraines since taking it. It's still too soon to tell cause and effect, though. Maybe that would help hemiplegic migraines to???? I asked my neurologist, who seemed open, though not terribly convinced.

Michelle, I am happy to see that magnesium and riboflavin are working for you. These have been studied in "regular" migraine, not the hemiplegic type, so there is no evidence one way or another of their role in hemiplegic migraine.

There are medications that help control hemiplegic migraine attacks, and I am sure the neurologist will discuss these with you and your daughter. It's reassuring that the results of the MRI and EEG were not abnormal. Good luck!

I'm sorry that Chrissy is suffering from these. Migraines are horrible to deal with. You might want to check out info on TIA's as well. My mother has these due to a blood clotting disorder. Here is a site that I just happened to find. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781

I hope she finds relief from her migraines, they can debilitating.

Forgot to add...my daughter takes Migrelief....recommended by her POTS/CFS doctor for her chronic headaches and occasional migraines. It can be purchased online. Our pharmacist ordered it for us. It is the riboflavin 200mg, magnesium 180mg and Puracol 50mg all in one pill. She takes 1 pill twice a day. So far so good as she's only been on it for a week.

Here is a link for it http://www.migrelief.com/index.htm

Her pots doctor says it's definitely worth a try as other prescription medications have not helped yet.

I just get regular, old classic migraines with an aura, but taking magnesium and stopping the birth control pill has almost stopped them completely.

On the other hand, I'm more POTSy off of the birth control (I think it raised my blood pressure just enough to keep me from feeling so lightheaded when I stand up.) So I guess I have to take my pick!

My daughter used to get the same symptoms with her migraines and she was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines. They were horrible. stroke like symptoms.

She was not permitted to use Imitrex with these type of migraines but did take medications everyday to help lessen the symptoms and freq as she was having migraines 1 to 2 times a week before medications.

good luck and hope your daughter is feeling better.