Chronic Fatigue News

Mrs. Burschman

I saw this at work and just thought I'd post the link for those of you with this diagnosis. I figure anytime diseases are found to not be "all in their head" is good for us POTSies!

Chronic Fatigue May Have a Viral Link

Microorganisms May Cause Condition Affecting 1 Million Americans

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/sto...6928&page=1

This is a very interesting article. While my daughter was an impatient at JHH for her endoscopy and other tests they asked to take fluid samples from her stomach for research. I wonder if this is what they are researching? It would be nice if taking an anti-viral medication would help with our fatigue. I will have to keep track of this subject and see what develops.

Okay, this makes so much sense! The weird thing is that one of my friends had problems with fibromylagia for many year and then last year she got the influenza A that was going around and her doctor put her on an Anti-viral for 3 weeks. She has been so much better since than and I wonder if somehow the antiviral drug actually "cured" her fibromylgia? Interesting!

I have not read the entire article because it is not yet available, but from reviewing the abstract, the authors examined CFS patients WITH CHRONIC ABDOMINAL COMPLAINTS. It would be interesting to followup these findings with a study examining CFS patients WITHOUT chronic abdominal complaints in order to see if the same findings could be reproduced in this patient population. CFS is a complex disorder and probably consists of various forms of illnesses with different underlining causes, resulting in the common pathway of fatigue syndrome. I would not be surprised if future studies discover a viral cause or link for the autonomic disorders since so many patients have a post-viral onset.

Hmm, so why have some UK scientists found changes in the blood something connected to genes and are developing a blood test to diagnose it and have trialled the use of Beta Interferon to cure it with some success?

Yet this article says it can't be found in the blood.

mine is suspected to be auto immune, disautonomia, due to 30+ years of hepatitis C. What they say is that I have an unknown auto immune disease. That comment was based on blood work and fingers turning blue with great pain, which comes occasionally and briefly.

It is not Raynauld's because ice sooths it.

I just wanted to say I appreciate you posting this.

Thanks!

Lisa