Reflux Drugs

lmbutare

I have been on protonix for reflux problems for almost 2 years, and it seems like it can't be the greatest idea in the world to be on it for that long. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get off of drugs after long term use. I tried to reduce my dose, but my reflux returns so badly that I can't sleep or eat much. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

I'm also concerned b/c I have pretty bad iron deficiency anemia and it's possible that these drugs are adding to my iron absorption problems since I'm on a double dose ( but who knows). I'm trying to take oral iron supplements and it's just compounding all of my GI/digestion issues. I feel like no matter what I do I can't find a way to get my diet and digestion under control!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :angry:

Lauren

Like you, I have been on meds for reflux for years - probably a decade. I try to go off them occasionally, the go back on the meds. Recently, I decided I just need to accept that I need the med and move on. I would LOVE to decrease the # of meds I'm on, but it doesn't seem an option at this point. I'm just happy to be feeling well most days.

Dari

Well, sweetie, they used to believe that these drugs should only be used short term, but that thinking has been changed dramatically.

If you have severe reflux and are not a candidate for surgery to repair it (we are going through this with our son and I have gone through it too) for instance , if you have slow gastric emptying, the surgery is contraindicated, or you have been checked for H Pylori and it's negative, the best they can do is meds.

If you have had H Pylori, make sure they get a biopsy from your gut and not your blood. Once you have had it, it will always show positive in your blood.

The long term use of meds versus just dealing with it shows, that the meds are far more benign. Long term reflux puts you at risk for a condition called Barrett's esophagus, which greatly increases your risks of esophageal cancer. The lining of your stomach, which is quite different than the lining of your esophagus, will start to grow up into the esophagus in an effort to protect it. These cells are abnormal, however, and seldom, if ever go away once there. There is something like a 40% risk of them becoming far more dangerous, than just abnormal.

I have been on Zantac, Prilosec and now prevacid for 20 years with no long term effects. My son takes Nexium twice a day, plus pepcid. And Rolaids.

As far as your iron, you are correct, this doesn't help your gut. Have they given you the slow release type of iron? And you take it with food? And take it at totally different times than the iron? The gut pills should be taken on an empty stomach and the iron on a full one, which should assure that they don't interact or affect the absorption.

I don't think jake is going be a candidate for surgery, but trust me, you would be prying his Nexium from his cold dead fingers, before he ever gives it up....sorry, this isn't more helpful, or positive. My doctor says, he believes some people just have a bacteria that hasn't been discovered, or those valves that are supposed to shut tight just don't. The surgery has it's share of complications. They wrap the upper stomach around the lower esophagus. It can be a miracle or a nightmare for people.

You should talk to your doctor about any other options you might have, but as I said, the thinking about these meds being short term is pretty obsolete. Good luck sweetie! morgan

I was on zantac, then prilosec from way back when it was released to market, and now nexium 2x a day. If I don't take the stuff, I'm in severe pain, and also the risk of gi cancer from untreated reflux is pretty high. So, you should weigh your risks with your doc and take it from there.

Nina

I've got Barrett's and would rather take meds for GERD than take a chance it will get worse. They do have a procedure to remove the abnormal cells from you esophagus, but esophageal cancer is the fastest growing type of cancer in the western world right now. Do what you need to do to keep acid where it belongs. I take Pepcid AC (prescription strength) as it seems to be more gentle on your central nervous system. Just a preference.

I personally think acid pump inhibitors are OK for longer term use if you have REFLUX disease not associated with gastro paresis. My husband takes it with no problems. However, if you have gastroparesis, then the acid reflux could be from the back up of undigested food.

I don't think this type of drug is good at all if anyone suffers from gastroparesis, as your stomach acid is part of the digestion process, and these acids also protect your body from harmful bacteria getting into your system through overgrowth into the small intestine. I would hate to see a person who already has problems with gastroparesis, have the digestion process inhibited even more. Your acid pumps are there for a reason.

Other drugs can be used to protect the esophagus from damage if a person has any reflux problems secondary to gastroparesis, and give you relief from the pain and discomfort. It IS very imortant to protect your esophagus--- :P

Maxine :0)

Thanks so much for your replies. I had a feeling that I was pretty much stuck on these, but it's at least nice to hear that other people have been taking them for a really long time too! :) I had to stop taking the protonix a few months ago b/c my insurance company was denying coverage and trying to get me to take OTC drugs (typical) and it was like TORTURE to be off of it!! It's really the only drug that has ever helped with my reflux, so I'm going to keep on keeping on.

As far as the iron goes, I'm on Niferex which is supposed to be the most gentle on your stomach and have been separating it as much as I can from drugs (I'm on thyroid drugs too and it really interferes with that), but it's been tough to handle. I may have to see about getting an injection of iron b/c I don't see how I can keep this up for 6-8 months...

Once again, you guys have been wonderful and responsive and it's so nice to have other people that know what I'm going through! :P This group is a life saver.

Lauren

Have you ever tried this Iron supplement?

http://www.repliva.com/

I got samples years ago and tolerated it quite well but stopped after a couple weeks. Further testing showed I did not do well with iron supplements but forget what the tests were now. Repliva something you take 21 days, then off 7 days so it does not build up too much in your system before the body absorbs it.

Good luck with your situation.

Oh, how much iron is absorbed from skillets depends on many things..the acidic foods cooked...Tomato sauce can take on too much iron and even a metallic taste. Also proper 'seasoning' of the skillet is critical. I have used them over the years but never able to season one as well as my mother can..she is in her 80's.

Have you ever tried this Iron supplement?

http://www.repliva.com/

I've never tried Repliva but I'll look into it b/c it's rough now on everything else. I'm definitely going to ask about the injections too b/c a little pain in the butt (haha I'm so clever :unsure: ) would be worth it if I can avoid the other side effects. I'm still wondering exactly why I'm so anemic though b/c I actually eat well... It's always something with us, isn't it??

Lauren