New Goofy Theory

Hello all,

It had been more than 24 hours since I'd started a thread, so I'd better get going! (Just kidding).

I have an interesting new theory I'd like to run past you. I've been a worrywart as long as I can remember. I've also had autonomic problems for as long as I can remember. I'm now wondering if part of the reason I always find something to worry about is because my body feels "anxious" all the time (tight chest, tachycardia, dizziness, etc.) Therefore, I think I must have something to be anxious about.

In other words, most people start worrying about something, then their body might feel "anxious." I think maybe I work in reverse. My body ALWAYS feels "anxious," therefore, I constantly figure out some reason why I must feel that way and manufacture things to worry about.

This sound like anyone else out there? Or does it sound plausible?

Amy

Amy-

That definately sounds like me!! I used to tell my mom I was "stressed" all the time and she would ask me why I was stressed. I rarely had an answer. I'm learning to just say, this is not a panic attack, it's just an adrenaline rush to keep the adrenaline rushes from turning into panic attacks. (Granted, it's the same physiology, but now I'm not stressing out about why I'm nervous.)

Sara

Well, since I have had this stuff 17 years, I have no idea how to tell you to change things as I gradually adjusted.

THAT SAID therapy may be in order to LEARN redirect thinking.

One form I think is called cognitive behavior therapy or something. I have seen it addressed on many sites. There may even be websites about it...doesn't mind the name of the therapy as long as you learn it and learn not to WORRY about things you can not change. :huh:

This illness is no picnic but we must choose over what to fret over and LEARNING to let things go, too.

I get "anxiety" from STANDING up as do many with the adrenalin surges...but WE make the decision to change.

The first step is addressing it and asking for help.

Good luck.

:lol:

Sara,

Exactly! I "shouldn't" be so worried. I've never really had all that much to worry about. But still, I worry. I think it's a bizarre effort to make my mindset match my perpetually "anxious" body!

Sophia,

Yep, I'm doing the cognitive-behavioral therapy. That said, every time I learn something new about the way I work, it helps me cope. This definitely could explain my perpetually worried state, I think! I'll have to run that past my counselor!

Amy

I have always been a worry wart too!! :wub:

But i do think that having pots really forces you to let go of feelings/symptoms that would normally cause you to panic, and to try and relax.

Amy,

I have read that many POTS/ MVP patients have an anxious personality.

Many can recall being a worrier as a child.

My psychiatrist told me there is a definite link between the two but it is sort of a chicken and egg thing at this point.

The researchers know the two are related but your question is just the thing . . . are we anxious because we have too much adrenaline? Or, do we have too much adrenaline because we are anxious.

I have found that my anxiety is practically gone since the physical symptoms are better under control. Thanks be to God! I felt totally stressed/anxious all the time. This was actually the symptom that sent me to the doctor with the intention to get to the bottom of things. I told her I felt like my "fight or flight" response was stuck and it was randomly triggered. Little did I know at that time I was pretty much describing POTS/MVPS and all this stuff!

I agree with you that info helps you cope with this illness.

Keep aksing questions!

Dari

By the way, this is not a goofy theory.

And, I wanted to say that therapy is great. I don't think I could have made it through the craziness of diagnosis and now management of this illness without my therapist's support. She is a behaviorist by secialty. however, the anxiety wasn't helped very much wtih therapy it was the meds that did it for me. Once the pounding and racing heart slowed and the pain decreased I could relax and handle life much better!!

Yes, I was always a worrier. As a child I worried about everything.

I have had alot of therapy in my life and one doctor suggested a theory that I have always believed.

Because, my father was an alcoholic and I was so afraid of him, I would hide when I saw him

coming home at night, weaving back and forth on the sidewalk. I would pace and look out the window

then, I would hide. I remember (age 5) thinking he would find me because he would be able to hear

my heart going so fast. Anyway, the psychiatrist gave me an article about becoming adrenaline sensitive.

He said it is almost like an allergic reaction to my own adrenaline. I have always startled easy. Always,

have had tachycardia and always been a fainter.

Dawn

Hummmm, that's interesting.

Any idea the article's name or from where it came?

I would like to read it- or something similar.

Your story sounds strikingly similar to mine. Constant fear and hypervigilance.

Again, very interesting.

Dari

Hi

I worry too but i certainly think you have a good point as if you have a pain normally you may think about it for a while but when you become occupied, you will eventually forget about it and the anxiety will go naturally. However, when you suffer with something like POTS the anxiety definitely comes first - so almost anything will latch on to this feeling. You certainly become very aware of yourself.

Kind regards Valentine

Just wanted to add that I, too, have been a worrier since I can remember. I used to walk circles around our kitchen table waiting on the school bus every day, scared to death what the day at school would bring. I had a lot of stomach aches. I was put on "nerve medication" by the fourth grade, I think it was. I have no idea what was in the medicine.

To this day, I feel like I can't relax. I worry all the time. I've often wondered if this has contributed to my POTS, caused my POTS, simply accompanied the POTS, etc.

Linda

Oh, I'd like to see that "adrenaline sensitive" article too, Dawn.

Oh my, I've never put being a worrier as part of the equation, but wondering if that can actually be a possibility. I feel too sick to worry much at this point, but looking back, my childhood I was a big time worrier. I remember worrying about my mom all the time as she was sick alot and also as I was a young adult I'd worry about driving in the snow/bad weather and also summer storms - to the point that I'd get very anxious about it.

Wow, If I've made my self sick, even though it was triggered by physical stressor/trauma, that is just very unfortunate and very frustrating to think of.

Count me in as a worrier. My husband just ordered me some program from the stress and anxiety center to help with depression and anxiety. I think it's like cognitive behavioral therapy but I can do it in the comfort of my own home. I think it's like a ten week thing. It was very expensive but I aprresciate my husband's efforts. he's such a thoughful person.

dayna

well, I can't remember the issue I had. I think it was fear. Anyway I was told by a therapist- I was taught to be afraid. Now I remember- it was fear. My mother was always afraid of my father. And I learned to be afraid - she taught me that, by her actions and being. I didn't need a reason.

Anyway, its a big step- if you learned to worry, like I learned to be afraid - to see that as the cause.

wishing you all relief!