Is Pots Inherited?

;) Hey all,

I know that research has shown that some forms of hyperadrenergic POTS are inherited. Does anyone know if other forms of POTS are as well? I'm convinced that my great-grandmother, grandfather, mother and brother also have some dysautonomia, but I'm not sure what type. We don't have joint hypermobility.

Have you run across anything in your research? Or do any of you also have a family history? Thanks!

Amy

A few cases of POTS are the result of a mutation in the norepinephrine transporter (NET) gene. However, a lot more of the cases are evidently the result of an NET gene that is not mutated but is accidentally switched off.

POTS can also be a side effect of another genetic disorder, such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

Or, in my case, a result of a different genetic defect than EDS which also causes collagen problems--my mother and my sisters all likely have the same problems, but mine is the most severe of the 4 of us.

Mighty Mouse,

Lucky you! I'm the same way. My mom and brother both have autonomic issues also, but not to the extent that I do. And my grandpa was on phenobarbitol for years and years for his "nerves." I always interpreted that as being just anxiety, but I'm starting to know better now!

No collagen problems, however. Guess I'm lucky in that regard!

Amy

It runs in our family. My mother has POTS, I have POTS and my daughter has POTS. My daughter also has EDS which has not been in our family before. Clotting issues run in our family, but haven't been documented well until recently.

The best way to research it is to do a pedigree on your family and look for traits that have been passed down. Sometimes when we do a medical history at the doctors things are forgotten, but with a pedigree everything is there and sometimes things just fall into the "Well Duh" category. My daughter recently went to see a geneticist and we did a pedigree and I was finally putting things together that I never had before.

Nolie