Appointment With Rheumatologist

Rachel

Hi everyone,

I have an appointment scheduled with a rheumatologist tomorrow. We'll see if we can find out what the strange, itchy, swolen spots were/are. The rash is gone now, but I still have some joint pain and occasional itchy spots. Hopefully the doctor will also be able to shed some light on the positive ANA test. I'll let you all know what I find out. Wish me luck!

Rachel

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm back from the doctor. Things went pretty well. The doctor was very nice, which is always appreciated! After doing an exam, checking joints, and asking questions, he doesn't believe that I have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. So that is good news. He is going to do thorough bloodwork to make sure, though, since my ANA did come back positive. Unfortunately, my blood wasn't flowing well today and the blood draws didn't work! I forgot to drink a lot of fluids and gatorade before going, so the blood just either dripped out, or didn't flow at all. The doctor wrote a script and I will get the blood drawn when I see my pcp in two weeks.

The rheumatologist said that a virus or bacterial infection is probably what caused the rash, swelling, joint pain, etc. Apparantly there are some that actually cause arthritis for a short time. He also said that could have caused the ANA to be positive and that my ANA may likely go back to normal in a few months. So it will be interesting to test it in a few months and see what the levels are.

I'm glad I don't have lupus or RA, but it would be nice to have more answers about what is going on with my health and why it has gotten/is getting worse. Maybe someday! Meanwhile, I keep plugging along, thankful for what I can do.

Rachel

Nolie,

When the rash first appeared on my neck it was a normal looking rash. But that went away after a day. The rash that I had on my joints was a large bump (diameter between 1 and 3 inches) with small bumps/red spots around it. The rash was feverish, swolen, and felt like a bruise. After a week it went away. Strange!

Rachel

Rachel,

That does sound very odd. I was asking because I get these little bumps, just plain flesh color or light red, almost like a hive. Very small like a pimple that itches like the dickens for several days and then it just disappears. No one has ever been able to tell me what it is. Nothing works for the itching. I've tried just about everything. I know there are a few others on this site that have them and was just wondering if you had the same.

It's a shame you have to wait a couple of months to get your ANA done again. Could you do it sooner? Maybe at the time you get your other blood test done at your PCP in 2 weeks? Any way it is great news that you don't have Lupus or RA. I hope you get some answers soon.

Nolie, isn't it strange how we have these little quirks that the doctors can't ever figure out?!!! :lol:

It isn't necessary to have my ANA checked again yet. If I checked the ANA too soon then it would most likely still be positive. But the doctor said that if it is checked in a few months then it might be normal again, if indeed it was an infection that caused the ANA to be positive in the first place. So that's why we're waiting to recheck the ANA.

I am still having some extra joint pain, but hopefully it is just the temporary arthritis like doctor said. Only time will tell at this point. And the extensive bloodwork next week will help to shed some more light on things.

Rachel