My Book Is Out!

mkoven

After busting my rear end for the past umpteen years, despite less than great health, I'm psyched to report that the book that I wrote (required to keep my job, among other things!) is finally coming out.

http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookvie...okid=SiBil%2034

It's not going to make me rich or famous-- with a small circulation and a high price tag, but it still makes me happy.

Thanks for letting me share. You guys have made the last 18 months of the process a lot more tolerable.

Michele

I am very impressed,congratulations ,it must feel great,Pat

Pretty cool! As one of the resident polyglots here, I appreciate the topic--although I didn't grow up bilingual unless you count American Sign Language :)

Teri and I just got Rosetta Stone's German I & II. I've taken 10 hours of Croatian by Pimsleur, and many years in school of both French and Spanish. I don't really count the year of Yiddish in college--although maybe I should because it was tough learning to read right to left!

Nina

Congratulations Michele....what an amazing accomplishment. Your DINET friends are Very proud of you!!!! :)

Michele,

Congratulations to you! You should be so proud of yourself for this accomplishment.

The book sounds very interesting. A number of decades ago, I lived and worked in Geneva for 2 years. I did feel different when I was working and interacting in French than when I was with American friends. Even my dress style was different.

Many years ago, I saw a film about managing a cultural diverse workforce. I was fascinated by the concept of time and how it was handled by different cultures.

I would love to read your book, but the price is prohibitive. Do you think public libraries will have it? Could you loan me a copy?

I think your book should be quite valuable to politicians as the debate about immigration continues.

Good luck, professor!

Lois

Michele,

Congratulations to you! You should be so proud of yourself for this accomplishment.

The book sounds very interesting. A number of decades ago, I lived and worked in Geneva for 2 years. I did feel different when I was working and interacting in French than when I was with American friends. Even my dress style was different.

Many years ago, I saw a film about managing a cultural diverse workforce. I was fascinated by the concept of time and how it was handled by different cultures.

I would love to read your book, but the price is prohibitive. Do you think public libraries will have it? Could you loan me a copy?

I think your book should be quite valuable to politicians as the debate about immigration continues.

Good luck, professor!

Lois

thanks, everyone, for your kind words!

The price is absurd, but unfortunately I have no control over that. The press sets the price. I think one could have a library order it or get it through interlibrary loan. I have a pdf of the whole thing without the front matter, but not bound, of course.

• 2 months later...

Michele:

Your book sounds fantastic! I'm bilingual (English/German) and went to uni in Germany. When I came back to the states I was so out of sorts, feeling like I had lost access to a different (better) self. I would LOVE to read your book. You mentioned a pdf file. Are you open to sending that out? If not, I will hound my local library to get a copy. I thought I was mad-crazy feeling that way. Sister, with that and POTS I figured I owned a timeshare on Crazy Island...

Let me know...either way I can't wait to read it!